We had a Social Rides Leader workshop on Sunday 31 January to train new leaders and are looking forward to the rides they come up with in coming weeks.
Keep an eye on In the Loop for upcoming rides or our webpage for the full calendar.
The first new leader out of the gate, David, is picking up a popular existing ride: Tunnels and Bridges.
Tunnels and Bridges
This 25 km easy trip out along the Intercity Cycleway on Saturday 13 February heads back to town via off-road paths, underpasses, bridges and quiet streets. It’s a a great route to create a loop from the cycleway so you don’t have to out and back the same way.
It’s suitable for all cyclists, including inexperienced cyclists, with a mixture of tracks and quiet roads. We’ll also stop for a coffee so you meet your fellow cyclists face to face and get to know David.
Please RSVP online as it will be cancelled if the weather forecast is not good. Meet at 9.15 am at the Cenotaph car park, expected return time of 12.15 pm.
Lenah Valley Looper
Lenah Valley's updated high street is a delightful spot and we're starting and ending our next E-bike Coffee Club ride led by Phillip at Whisk & Co on Thursday 18 February.
RSVP online then meet on the day at 9.45 am for an 18.4 km loop from Lenah Valley up through Knocklofty Reserve, back through the city and along the waterfront to the Intercity Cycleway and coffee back at Whisk & Co.
The Coffee Club rides are a relaxed ride for e-bikers or a more energetic ride for fit non e-bikers.
Wynyard Roads to the Hills
This month’s north-west riders ride led by Keith and Wendy on Sunday 28 February will be a challenge for the legs, with three return routes up and down hills to choose from – you can do one or all three or you can ride as far as you can and turn around when the faster riders return.
Meet at Gutheridge Gardens before 11 am when the first route will set off and BYO lunch/snacks or buy from one of the shops nearby for the return at about 2 pm.
The three main routes are Oldina Road, Deep Creek Road and Reservoir Drive. RSVP online so you can be contacted in case of cancellation.
Upcoming rides & events
Social rides are featured in each edition of In the Loop, but if you want more notice visit our social rides calendar, which is regularly updated.
- E-bike coffee club – Cenotaph & Cascade Loop: Thursday 4 March
- Women on Wheels – Margate to Snug Loop: Sunday 7 March
- Bike Week Family Ride to Cornelian Bay: Saturday 13 March
- Kingborough Treasure Hunt: Sunday 14 March
- E-bike coffee club – City to Pipeline: Thursday 18 March
- Women on Wheels – Location TBC: Sunday 4 April
- E-bike coffee club – Lap of North Bruny: Thursday 15 April
Bicycle Network Tasmania accredits Social Ride Leaders and requires anyone interested in leading rides to be accredited. If you would like to be one of our Ride Leaders, please email our Rides Coordinator with your contact details and what sort of riding you are interested in and we'll let you know when the next Ride Leader Skills Development Workshop is scheduled.
Our social rides leaders are following a set of protocols to help make our rides compliant with government directions:
- Meeting places for rides will have plenty of space for people to maintain 1.5 to 2 metre distancing while unloading bikes, listening to the briefing, and getting ready to ride.
- Riders are asked to register online or via phone so there is no paper being handed around on the day.
- Ride leaders will have sanitiser on hand in case of needing to touch bikes or riders.
- People are asked not to attend rides if they have fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, shortness of breath or runny nose.