Great Outback Escape
At a glance
The Great Outback Escape is no ordinary cycling tour. It’s an eight-day, fully-supported premium bike riding holiday.
Staying in three to five-star accommodation, you will be afforded with all the luxuries and support needed to enjoy your time both on and off the bike.
During the day, you’ll ride and experience first-hand the magical landscapes of Australia’s Red Centre, including West MacDonnell Ranges, Kings Canyon and the iconic Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park by bike. At night, you’ll rest, relax, refuel and refresh, connecting with friends new and old.
We’ve also thrown in some extra special activities each day to make sure you experience the very best of Central Australia.
Day 1 – Arrive in Alice Springs
Arrive at accommodation any time and get settled in with a free day to explore Alice Springs. Bicycle Network will provide a map showing bike routes to all of Alice’s best attractions.
Once you’ve settled in, join us for welcome drinks and canapes to meet your fellow riders, followed by a delicious dinner under the stars.
Welcome to country will acknowledge the traditional owners of the land in which we will be visiting, followed by the cultural sounds of a traditional didgeridoo artist.
Day 2 – Ride to Ellery Creek via Glen Helen | 60km
Following breakfast at your accommodation you’ll kick off the day with a bus trip to Glen Helen, followed by coffee, tea and strudel and the chance to explore Glen Helen Gorge.
The day’s riding will take in quiet roads, rolling hills and the possibility of spotting wild horses and dingoes as you ride from Glen Helen to Ellery Creek.
In the evening we’ll transport you back from Ellery Creek to Alice Springs via coach. There you’ll get the chance to kick-back and reminisce on the days activities.
- 6:30AM: Breakfast at accommodation
- 8:00AM: Depart on bus to Glen Helen
- 9:30AM: Morning tea at Glen Helen. Explore Glen Helen Gorge
- 10:30AM: Start ride from Glen Helen to Ellery Creek via Ormiston Gorge and Ochre Pits (route open 10:30am – 3:30pm)
- 4:00PM: Coach transport departs from Ellery Creek for Alice Springs
- 6:30PM: Dinner
Day 3 – Ride to Standley Chasm | 70km
Relax and enjoy today’s riding which will take you along the scenic Simpson’s Gap bike path and wind through bushland in the foothills of the West MacDonnell Ranges.
You’ll have the option to join us on a walk through Standley Chasm and treat yourself to morning tea and coffee after the morning’s ride.
The quiet roads offer stunning views of the West Macdonnel Ranges with a rolling descent taking you back into Alice Springs at the end of the day.
- 6:30AM: Breakfast at accommodation
- 7:00AM: Depart on bus to Standley Chasm
- 8:30AM: Optional walk through Standley Chasm followed by morning tea
- 9:30AM: Ride starts from Standley Chasm to Alice Springs (route open 9:30AM – 5:00PM)
- 6:07PM: Sunset
- 6:30PM: Two course dinner and drinks
Day 4 – Kings Canyon rest / adventure day
Today is what you make it. While the bike gets a rest for the day, you can experience any of the things on offer around Kings Canyon. Soak it all in by completing the full 6km rim walk, or if you’re feeling extra adventurous, try one of the amazing activities below.
Finally, cap off the day with a champagne as the sun sets over Kings Canyon before heading to a luxury two course dinner at Carmichaels.
All activities must be pre-booked with one of our friendly team members.
- 5:30AM: Breakfast at accommodation
- 6:15AM: Depart on bus to Kings Canyon, stopping for morning tea at the Eldunda Roadhouse
- 6:56AM: Sunrise
- 12:30PM: Arrive at Kings Canyon for lunch
- 1:30PM: Optional activities
- 5:30PM: Enjoy a champagne as the sun sets over Kings Canyon
- 6:30PM: Two-course dinner at Carmichaels
Accommodation: Kings Canyon Resort
Day 5 – Ride to Kings Creek Station | 49km
Ride to the base of Kings Canyon and take the opportunity to do the iconic Kings Canyon Rim Walk or explore the Kings Creek and Kathleen Springs walks.
Saddle up and pedal your way to Kings Creek Station, situated among beautiful desert oaks and falling at the foot of the stunning George Gill Range. It’s a perfect spot for lunch!
The last coach will depart Kings Creek Station at 1:30pm on route to Yulara. The later afternoon and early evening is yours to explore Yulara or put up your feet for a well deserved rest before dinner.
- 5:30AM: Breakfast at Kings Canyon Resort
- 6:30AM: Start ride from Kings Canyon Resort (route open 6:30am: 1:00pm)
- 7:00AM: Optional Kings Canyon rim walk, Kings Creek Walk or Kathleen Springs Walk. Read more here.
- 1:30PM: Last coach departs Kings Creek Station for Yulara
- 4:30PM: Free time in Yulara
- 6:30PM: Dinner
Day 6 – Ride to Uluru (return) | 48km
It’s an early start today but one to treasure! Take a self-guided tour through the stunning Field of Light before watching the sunrise from a viewing platform with the backdrop of Uluru over breakfast.
During the day you’ll have time to ride a full loop of Uluru, stop in at the cultural centre and take a stroll to the Mutijulu waterhole.
The afternoon and evening are open for you to enjoy some free time – there’s plenty of activities to choose from, or you can simply kick back and relax.
- 5:45AM: Bus departs for Field of Light
- 6:00AM: Self-guided tour through the Field of Light before sitting down to breakfast at sunrise (7:00AM)
- 8:15AM: Bus returns to accommodation
- 9:00AM – 1:00PM: Uluru loop ride with on-road support from Bicycle Network (route open 9:00AM – 1:00PM)
- From 12:00PM: Enjoy additional activities.
- 6:06PM: Sunset
Day 7 – Ride to Kata Tjuta (return) | 104km
Arguably the best day of road riding starts with a winding road through Uluru – Kata Tjuta National Park, featuring stunning views of Kata Tjuta as you approach the culturally significant site. The return to Yulara is rewarded with easy descending and even better views of Uluru.
Just when you thought it was all over, there’s one more memorable experience to top it all off – the Sounds of Silence dinner!
You’ll be dining under the desert night while a storyteller shares tales as told in the stars. Take the opportunity to reflect on your best memories of the trip and enjoy a final night with new friends.
What better way to wrap up a trip that you’ll never forget.
- 6:00AM: Breakfast at Ilkari Restaurant
- 6:57AM: Sunrise
- 7:00AM: Riders through Kata Tjuta National Park starts (route open 7:00AM – 2:30PM)
- 5:00PM: Bus departs for Sound of Silence dinner
- 6:00PM: Three-course dinner followed by didgeridoo performance and stargazing tour
- 6:05PM: Sunset
Day 8 – Farewell
Day 8 brings us to the end of our incredible adventure through some of the most untouched natural landscapes in the world.
Depart any time or enjoy our optional transfer service back to Alice Springs. If you’re flying directly from Uluru, you can utilise the resort’s free Airport Shuttle Service.
If you choose to stay the extra night and make the most of the weekend away you can purchase this along with your ticket. We recommend that you fly out of Yulara should you decide to stay an extra night.
Farewell and have a safe journey home!