Eastern shore and western shore Hobart rides are the go this fortnight as well as a Cygnet Loop for people wanting to get out of town. Also, check out the upcoming rides at the bottom of the page as our ride leaders are getting in early with some already scheduled out to February next year!
Cygnet Loop – Sunday 7 November
The mix of farmland, bush and coastal views makes the 27.6 km Cygnet Loop on Sunday 7 November one of our favourite routes.
Meet at 10.15 am in the free car park behind the Cygnet Town Hall before heading off into the hills and then down to Petcheys Bay and the Huon River, skirting around Lymington and back into Cygnet for coffee.
There will be some gravel road sections so this is not suitable for narrow tyres. RSVP to rider leader Brian in case of cancellation.
Seven Mile Beach to Sorell – Saturday 13 November
The 29 km double loop out of Seven Mile Beach on Saturday 13 November provides gorgeous water views via bike tracks and quiet streets.
Meeting at 9.45 am at the Seven Mile Beach car park in Surf Road, we’ll head over the causeway to Midway Point and circle around Orielton Lagoon before looping back to the starting point.
Coffee at the end of the ride. Please RSVP to ride leader Brian as it will be cancelled if the weather’s not favourable.
E-bike Westside Discovery – Thursday 18 November
The 16.2 km Westside Discovery ride on Thursday 18 November is a great introduction to bush paths, shortcuts and quieter roads through West Hobart, Lenah Valley and Mount Stuart.
Meet ride leader Di at 9.45 am at 210 Collins Street and RSVP in case the ride is cancelled.
While this is an e-bike ride, any rider is welcome as long as you can keep up and we’ll probably stop for coffee at the fabulous Whisk Café.
Tranmere Trundle – Saturday 20 November
The Tranmere Trundle on Saturday 20 November is an easy 21 km ride to get to know other riders and experience the Foreshore Trail.
Meet ride leader David at 9.15 am at the Kangaroo Bay car park from where the group will head down to Tranmere on the trail then back through residential streets for a bit of variety.
There will be a coffee stop along the way, RSVP in case of cancellation.
Upcoming rides & events
Social rides are featured in each edition of In the Loop, but if you want more notice visit our social rides calendar, which is regularly updated.
- Blackmans Bay to Tinderbox Loop – Saturday 27 November
- E-bike Coffee Cruise: ICC to Cadbury– Thursday 2 December
- Risdon Brook Dam ride – Saturday 4 December
- Women on Wheels– Sunday 5 December
- Christmas lunch at Longley– 11 December
- E-bike Coffee Cruise: Ridgeway–South Hobart Meander– Thursday 16 December
- Mounty Nelson High – Saturday 18 December
- Crabtree Crawl – Monday 27 December
- Sandfly Colliery Tramway Track – Saturday 22 January
- Kingston Creeks and Hills – Saturday 19 February
- Pelverata Halls Track Road – Saturday 26 February
Bicycle Network Tasmania accredits Social Ride Leaders and requires anyone interested in leading rides to be accredited. If you would like to be one of our Ride Leaders, please email our Rides Coordinator with your contact details and what sort of riding you are interested in and we'll let you know when the next Ride Leader Skills Development Workshop is scheduled.
Our social rides leaders are following a set of protocols to help make our rides compliant with government directions:
- Meeting places for rides will have plenty of space for people to maintain 1.5 to 2 metre distancing while unloading bikes, listening to the briefing, and getting ready to ride.
- Riders are asked to register online or via phone so there is no paper being handed around on the day.
People are asked not to attend rides if they have fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, shortness of breath or runny nose.