No north-west social rides for the next few weeks, but there is a good mix of rides planned taking in central Hobart, the eastern shore and Kingborough. Knock the winter chills for six by warming up regularly on your bike!
Taroona Picnic Ride
The Taroona Picnic Ride on Saturday 3 July is a simple 20 km ride through the back streets of Battery Point and on-road painted lane along Sandy Bay Road: ideal for people wanting to get back into riding.
Meet at 9.15 am at the Cenotaph car park for the journey to the Picnic Basket in Taroona for coffee and chat. If the group is up for it they can also try the ride up to Bonnet Hill.
Seven Mile Beach to Cremorne
Seven Mile Beach to Cremorne on Tuesday 6 July is a 33 km challenge with killer coastal views!
Meet at 9.45 am at the Seven Mile Beach playground car park to head off on the route which is a mix of quieter roads, bumpy coastal track and Tangara Trail.
Mountain bikes and e-bikes with wide tyres are the best choice and be prepared that in some parts the tracks are not complete and bikes need to be dragged up slopes, but we will help each other.
The ride will end with lunch and coffee at the Seven Mile Beach shop, please RSVP to ride leader Brian.
Margate to Coningham return
One for the Kingborough set on Saturday 10 July with the 22.5 km return ride from Margate to Coningham.
Meet at 9.15 am at the Dru Point car park for this scenic discovery tour through a diverse mix of off-road bush paths, new cycleway, footpaths and quiet roads and coffee at some stage.
All bikes, all riders welcome, please RSVP to ride leader Jack.
E-bike Coffee Club – City to Pipeline
Our Pipeline specialist Matt is joining ride leader Frances to take the e-bike coffee club on a trip up the mountain on Thursday 15 July.
Meet at Hamlet café at 9.15 am for the 27.9 km route which will head up through Waterworks Reserve and Ridgeway to the Pipeline Track and then returning via Strickland Avenue and the Rivulet path.
Should be back at Hamlet by about noon for coffee or lunch. Bring windproof layers, water and snacks. RSVP in case of cancellation.
Upcoming rides & events
Social rides are featured in each edition of In the Loop, but if you want more notice visit our social rides calendar, which is regularly updated.
- Granton Grunter – Saturday 17 July
- Kangaroo Bay to Droughty Point – Saturday 24 July
- Knocklofty Kneetrembler – Saturday 31 July
- E-bike Coffee Club: Westside Explorer– Thursday 19 August
- North west riders – Don Latrobe: Sunday 29 August
- North west riders – Railton Sheffield Paradise: Sunday 26 September
- Seniors on E-bikes– Wednesday 13 October
- North west riders – Gunns Plains: Sunday 31 October
Bicycle Network Tasmania accredits Social Ride Leaders and requires anyone interested in leading rides to be accredited. If you would like to be one of our Ride Leaders, please email our Rides Coordinator with your contact details and what sort of riding you are interested in and we'll let you know when the next Ride Leader Skills Development Workshop is scheduled.
Our social rides leaders are following a set of protocols to help make our rides compliant with government directions:
- Meeting places for rides will have plenty of space for people to maintain 1.5 to 2 metre distancing while unloading bikes, listening to the briefing, and getting ready to ride.
- Riders are asked to register online or via phone so there is no paper being handed around on the day.
- People are asked not to attend rides if they have fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, shortness of breath or runny nose.