After looking like things were quietening down for winter, our social ride leaders have defied expectations and put forward several interesting rides over the coming weeks, including a two-ride weekend in Deloraine.
Sandy Bay Social Climber
Join ride leader David in tackling the hilly climbs around Sandy Bay on gravel and asphalt roads on Saturday 19 June.
Meet at 9.15 am at Hamlet Café in the car park off Molle Street for the 22 km, 2.5 hour loop which will also visit Waterworks Reserve and coffee stop along the way or at the end.
This one is suitable for experienced riders on low-geared bikes or e-bikes with wide enough tyres for gravel roads. Please RSVP in case weather cancels the ride.
Domain Pizza Loop
The is the precursor ride to our volunteers celebration lunch at the Queens Domain on Sunday 20 June, starting at the Community Hub in Legacy Park at 10.45 am.
You can join the ride even if you're not going to the volunteers lunch, to do the triple loop of the Domain:
- mountain bike track to the summit (or follow the Summit Road if you don't want to tackle the track).
- top road loop (and then back down the mountain bike track).
- Max's Infinity Loop, before returning to the Community Hub to make some pizzas!
Please RSVP to ride leader Greg in case the ride is cancelled due to weather.
North West Riders Deloraine Weekend
Our North West Riders are making a weekend of it on 26–27 June with two rides headed by Tony planned out of Deloraine and dinner at the Empire Hotel on the Saturday night.
The 39 km Saturday ride will start at 11.30 am at the Deloraine Train Park and head to Meander and then Montana with a stop at the 41 degree south salmon and ginseng farm for lunch before heading back to Deloraine via Red Hills.
The 43 km Sunday ride will begin at 9.30 am at Soldiers Memorial Park in Westbury and head up to Selbourne and the Four Springs Lake before returning via Hagley, with lunch at Verde Café in Westbury. Riders who don’t want to go on gravel can miss the side trip to the lake and just ride the 30 km loop.
RSVPS are essential for the rides and meals, accommodation is up to you.
Kangaroo Bay Bush
The Kangaroo Bay Bush on Saturday 26 June takes in several good tracks on the eastern shore, so if you’ve got wide enough tyres for gravel and dirt surfaces, join ride leader David at 9.15 am.
The ride will leave from the Cenotaph car park or can meet you under the bridge on the eastern shore about 9.45 am before heading over Gordons Hill, exploring Waverley Flora Park, then finishing with a circuit of Rosny Hill.
The group will stop for a coffee along the way, please RSVP in case the ride is cancelled due to weather.
Geilston Bay to Tranmere Foreshore Trail
Enjoy a leisurely but lengthy 43 km ride on Tuesday 29 June with ride leader Brian on mostly flat and safe cycle paths with a few steep climbs and interesting bush track and safe road diversions thrown in.
We'll follow the scenic Clarence Foreshore Trail from one end to the other, visit historic Bellerive Fort at the Bluff, and take on a small hill in Oceana Drive for a bit of interest.
Bring your own picnic lunch to have along the way and we'll enjoy coffee at a cafe in Howrah on our way back, please RSVP in case of cancellation.
E-bike Coffee Cruise: ICC to Cadbury Estate
This 22 km ride on Thursday 1 July will be an easy run out to Claremont and back along the Intercity Cycleway suitable for anyone wanting a morning outdoors with good company!.
We’ll stop for a coffee in Moonah on the return so you can talk to other riders and ask about e-bikes if you are interested.
Meet at Cornelian Bay car park in time for a 10 am departure, if you’re coming please RSVP to ride leader Di in case weather forces cancellation.
Upcoming rides & events
Social rides are featured in each edition of In the Loop, but if you want more notice visit our social rides calendar, which is regularly updated.
- Seven Mile Beach to Cremorne – Tuesday 6 July
- Margate to Coningham– Saturday 10 July
- E-bike Coffee Club: City to Pipeline – Thursday 15 July
- E-bike Coffee Club: Westside Explorer – Thursday 19 August
- North west riders – Don Latrobe: Sunday 29 August
- North west riders – Railton Sheffield Paradise: Sunday 26 September
- Seniors on E-bikes– Wednesday 13 October
- North west riders – Gunns Plains: Sunday 31 October
Bicycle Network Tasmania accredits Social Ride Leaders and requires anyone interested in leading rides to be accredited. If you would like to be one of our Ride Leaders, please email our Rides Coordinator with your contact details and what sort of riding you are interested in and we'll let you know when the next Ride Leader Skills Development Workshop is scheduled.
Our social rides leaders are following a set of protocols to help make our rides compliant with government directions:
- Meeting places for rides will have plenty of space for people to maintain 1.5 to 2 metre distancing while unloading bikes, listening to the briefing, and getting ready to ride.
- Riders are asked to register online or via phone so there is no paper being handed around on the day.
- People are asked not to attend rides if they have fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, shortness of breath or runny nose.