The upgrade of Childs Road—that will also deliver a bike underpass on the Darebin Creek Trail—is underway.
Riders on Childs Road or along the Darebin Creek Trail should be alert to changed condition over the coming months.
A site office will be set up on the Hawkes Drive side of Childs Road in Mill Park between Carbon Crescent Reserve and Grenda Drive walkway from Monday 15 March 2021.
Site set up will take about two weeks and during this time Childs Road will be reduced to one lane between Bowman Drive and Prince of Wales Avenue between 9.30am and 3pm Monday to Friday.
Traffic controllers and signs will be in place, although patience will be required.
The site office will remain in place until the project is completed. It will include offices, staff parking and storage for materials and equipment.
A smaller secondary site office will also be set up near Darebin Creek in the coming months.
The walking and cycling path on the southern side of Childs Road will be temporarily closed while the main site office is in place.
Riders can still use the path on the northern side of Childs Road during this time.
As well as the underpass for the trail the project will:
- build new shared walking and bike path connections
- new separated paths on both sides of the bridge
- add an extra lane in each direction between Beaumont Crescent and Prince of Wales Avenue
- upgrade the roundabout to traffic lights at Bowman Drive
- build a new bridge over Darebin Creek and upgrade the existing bridge
- add a pedestrian operated traffic light to the crossing at the left turn from Dalton Road onto Childs Road
- install safety barriers along the road
This article was made possible by the support of Bicycle Network's members who enable us to make bike riding better in Australia.