Newcrest Orange Challenge
Winners nutrition tips
Here are Winners top 5 nutrition tips for Newcrest Orange Challenge riders:
- Aim to consume 30 – 60g of carbohydrate per hour of riding
- Eat and drink consistently on the ride. Set your watch alarm to go off every 20 minutes as a reminder
- Eat high carbohydrate foods and taper training in the days leading up to the ride.
- Eat foods containing carbs and protein within 30 minutes of completing a ride to aid recovery
- Test your nutrition plan prior to the ride. People respond differently to different foods, make sure your body can cope under ride conditions
Nutrition for the Newcrest Orange Challenge
4 – 6 weeks before ride day
- Begin to trial different food options and incorporate nutrition into your training ride.
- Practice opening, storing products and eating whilst on the bike.
3 – 4 weeks before ride day
- Develop a nutrition plan for ride day and begin to fine tune in training
1 week before ride day
- Taper training and increase carbohydrate intake in the lead up to the event.
- Eat and drink consistently from the start of the ride to reduce fatigue. Aim to consume 30-60g of carbohydrates per hour of the ride.
For more information download Winners’ free Cycling ‘Guide to Nutrition’.