Newcrest Orange Challenge
Winners nutrition tips
Here are Winners top 5 nutrition tips for riders taking on Newcrest Orange Challenge.
- Aim to consume 30 – 60g of carbohydrate per hour of riding
- Eat and drink consistently on the ride. Set your watch alarm to go off every 20 minutes as a reminder
- Eat high carbohydrate foods and taper training in the days leading up to the ride.
- Eat foods containing carbs and protein within 30 minutes of completing a ride to aid recovery
- Test your nutrition plan prior to the ride. People respond differently to different foods, make sure your body can cope under ride conditions
“Winners products are not just for elite athletes, but provide the sustained energy boost that any active person needs” – Cadel Evans
Event nutrition guide
4 – 6 weeks before ride day
- Begin to trial different food options and incorporate nutrition into your training ride.
- Practice opening, storing products and eating whilst on the bike.
3 – 4 weeks before ride day
- Develop a nutrition plan for ride day and begin to fine tune in training
1 week before ride day
- Taper training and increase carbohydrate intake in the lead up to the event.
- Eat and drink consistently from the start of the ride to reduce fatigue. Aim to consume 30-60g of carbohydrates per hour of the ride.
For more information download Winners’ free Cycling ‘Guide to Nutrition’.