United Energy Around the Bay
Have you heard of the 300 club?
Chances are you haven’t; it was only initiated last year. The 300 club is for a special group of riders who have circumnavigated Port Phillip Bay as part of Australia’s biggest one day celebration of bike riding – United Energy Around the Bay. It’s one of the events nine ride options in October.
Steeped in history, Around the Bay has captured the hearts of the bike riding public for over 27 years. Throughout this time, the incremental increases in distance have always been gobbled up by the eager bike riding community – not known for shying away from a challenge.
Last year the 300km ride was introduced, and the bike riding community didn’t disappoint. 434 riders joined the club.
To reach the triple-tonne, the United Energy Around the Bay course deviates from Port Phillip Bay at Dromana, heading across to Flinders and back, over Arthur’s Seat and Red Hill.
Fun facts about the 300km United Energy Around the Bay ride
- It is 2 kilometres longer than the Milan–San Remo La Classicissima, which is marketed as the “the longest professional one-day race in modern cycling.”
- It is not a race. The average rider takes around 9-12 hours to finish the course in their own time.
- There are 12 rest stops located on the 300km course, where riders can refill their water bottles, refuel their engines and regroup with their riding buddies.
- It travels across water, with riders boarding a ferry from Queenscliff to Sorrento to link the bay.
- It’s about the same distance as riding from Melbourne to Bendigo… and back.
- Riders get a special 300km United Energy Around the Bay jersey to welcome them to the club.
- The ride culminates with a massive party in Albert Park, where all riders get together to celebrate their achievements and the joy of riding.
- The longest stage of the 2019 Tour de France falls 69 kilometres short of the 300km United Energy Around the Bay ride.
Sure, it’s no Alpe d’Huez or Peaks Challenge Falls Creek, but those who underestimate tackling Arthur’s Seat with 185kms already in the legs do so at their own peril.
So, what are you waiting for?
Only at United Energy Around the Bay can you ride 300km, fully supported, in a single day; tackling an entire loop of Port Phillip Bay, and then some.JOIN THE CLUB
Become our friend
Find out more about Bicycle Network and support us in making it easier for people to ride bikes.