A new masterplan for the Sunshine Transport Precinct is underway with a strong focus on the provision of bike infrastructure.
With planning well advanced for the new rail connection to the airport at Tullamarine, which interconnects to the state regional rail network at the station, it is timely for a rethink about how transport can function in and around what will become a bustling metropolitan hub.
If the old car-based model of 1970’s suburban planning prevails in Sunshine, what should be a thriving economic generator will congeal solid amidst its own traffic congestion.
There is a really good bike trail out to Sunshine from Footscray, but it needs much better local connections if bikes are to play a major role in the development of Sunshine and surrounds.
The government is starting out by seeking feedback on what principles should underlay to future development of the area around the station. You can learn more and get involved here.
Among the principles the government is seeking feedback on are:
- Support new and upgraded rail infrastructure for Melbourne Airport Rail and future rail connection improvements to Melbourne and regional Victoria
- Improve walking and cycling access to and around the station
- Better connect the station and the Sunshine CBD
- Improve the surrounding transport network and connection to other modes
- Create a sense of place for the local community that reflects Sunshine’s distinctive character
- Support high quality development around the station
- Prioritise safety and needs of people
- Promote greening, sustainability and environmental responsibility.
The state government says the pipeline of major rail investments for the west—including the Metro Tunnel, Suburban Rail Loop, Western Rail Plan and Melbourne Airport Rail—will all contribute to Sunshine Station’s development into a transport superhub.
"The Sunshine Station transport superhub will deliver a turn-up-and-go style service for Sunshine and easy connections to the Melbourne Airport, Victoria’s western regions, Southern Cross via Footscray, and Melbourne’s CBD through the new Metro Tunnel,” the government says.
The superhub will be developed through a series of investments and developments, including:
- Melbourne Airport Rail, which will deliver upgrades to Sunshine Station and connection to the airport and Metro Tunnel
- Western Rail Plan, which will deliver upgrades and improved connections to metropolitan and regional centres
- Sunshine Station Masterplan, which will guide future investment and opportunities for development around the station
- Public and private development within the wider Sunshine Transport Precinct, which supports community benefit and employment, housing and population growth.
This article was made possible by the support of Bicycle Network's members who enable us to make bike riding better in Australia.