The colder weather sometimes dulls the enthusiasm for getting out on the bike, but we’ve still got a few rides on offer to end autumn and look toward the winter months.
Pipeline Track from Fern Tree
Explore Wellington Park from the relatively flat Pipeline Track on Saturday 22 May with ride leader Jack, meeting at the Fern Tree Tavern car park at 9.15 am.
This easy 24.9 km ride follows the old water pipe route through beautiful forest with views of rivers and the chance to stop to visit a waterfall along the way.
The track is unsealed the whole way and a little bumpy in places so mountain bikes or low-geared touring bikes would be suitable. Please RSVP if you are interested in the ride, we’ll also stop at the tavern for coffee and snacks afterwards.
Tunnels and Bridges
Tunnels and Bridges on Saturday 29 May is one of our regular routes, exploring the lesser known links for bike riders off the Intercity Cycleway.
Meet at 9.15 am at the Cenotaph Car Park where ride leader David will guide you off the cycleway around the Montrose foreshore and back streets of Derwent Park and New Town for a total of 25 km.
There will be a coffee stop along the way to talk to other riders and you’ll need to RSVP in case the ride is cancelled.
Note: the Cenotaph car park is at half capacity so you may have to park on the Domain and ride over the Remembrance Bridge.
This month’s north-west ride on Sunday 30 May is tackling a new 32.7 km loop route with ride leader Patrick south-east of Sheffield through farmland, forest and plantations on asphalt and gravel roads.
Meet at the junction of Bridle Track and Beulah roads in Stoodley before 11 am. There is a picnic/swimming spot halfway along loop so please bring your lunch with you and swimmers/wetsuit if you like cold weather dipping!
A shorter route is available for riders who don’t want to do the full loop. Please RSVP in case of cancellation.
Upcoming rides & events
Social rides are featured in each edition of In the Loop, but if you want more notice visit our social rides calendar, which is regularly updated.
- Moonah Mountain Moaner – Saturday 5 June
- Seven Mile Beach to Sorell – Saturday 12 June
- North west riders – Deloraine weekend: Saturday 26 June
- Margate to Coningham – Saturday 10 July
- North west riders – Don Latrobe: Sunday 29 August
- North west riders – Railton Sheffield Paradise: Sunday 26 September
- Seniors on E-bikes – Wednesday 13 October
- North west riders – Gunns Plains: Sunday 31 October
Bicycle Network Tasmania accredits Social Ride Leaders and requires anyone interested in leading rides to be accredited. If you would like to be one of our Ride Leaders, please email our Rides Coordinator with your contact details and what sort of riding you are interested in and we'll let you know when the next Ride Leader Skills Development Workshop is scheduled.
Our social rides leaders are following a set of protocols to help make our rides compliant with government directions:
- Meeting places for rides will have plenty of space for people to maintain 1.5 to 2 metre distancing while unloading bikes, listening to the briefing, and getting ready to ride.
- Riders are asked to register online or via phone so there is no paper being handed around on the day.
- People are asked not to attend rides if they have fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, shortness of breath or runny nose.