Risdon Brook Dam Cruise
On Saturday 8 May join ride leader David to explore and enjoy the changes that have happened out at Risdon Brook Dam over the past year.
Meet at the Cenotaph car park at 9.15 am to head over the bridge and along the Foreshore Trail to Geilston Bay where the group will ride up Sugarloaf Road and Grasstree Hill Road to the Dam and its loop trail. If you don’t want to ride over the bridge the group can meet you on the eastern shore.
There will be a coffee stop in Lindsifarne on the way back, please RSVP in case the 29 km ride is cancelled.
Knocklofty Knee Trembler
Test your legs on Saturday 15 May with the popular 25.9 km Knocklofty Knee Trembler ride that heads up and over the hills around Hobart from the Cenotaph car park.
Meet at 9.15 am before heading over to South Hobart and straight up into the hills of West Hobart where you’ll be up and down for 13 km before heading down hill then back along the flat Intercity Cycleway.
This is a mix of tracks, roads and steep climbs so you’ll need to bring a bike with low gearing and tyres wide enough for gravel paths.
There will be a coffee stop along the way for a chat with your fellow riders, please RSVP if you are interested in coming in case it’s cancelled because of weather.
E-bike Coffee Club – Sandy Bay Scenic
The Thursday 20 May e-bike ride is one of the more relaxed routes, out to the Picnic Basket in Taroona via quiet roads and painted bike lanes.
Meet at Brooke Street Pier at 9.45 am before exploring the signed quiet roads route through Battery Point down to Sandy Bay Road and the glimpses of the River Derwent and then winding through Taroona to coffee and snacks.
Please RSVP to ride leader Matt in case the ride is cancelled.
Pipeline Track from Fern Tree
Explore Wellington Park from the relatively flat Pipeline Track on Saturday 22 May with ride leader Jack, meeting at the Fern Tree Tavern car park at 9.15 am.
This easy 24.9 km ride follows the old water pipe route through beautiful forest with views of rivers and the chance to stop to visit a waterfall along the way.
The track is unsealed the whole way and a little bumpy in places so mountain bikes or low-geared touring bikes would be suitable. Please RSVP if you are interested in the ride, we’ll also stop at the tavern for coffee and snacks afterwards.
Upcoming rides & events
Social rides are featured in each edition of In the Loop, but if you want more notice visit our social rides calendar, which is regularly updated.
- Tunnels and Bridges – Saturday 29 May
- North west riders – Beulah Loop: Sunday 30 May
- Seven Mile Beach to Sorell – Saturday 12 June
- North west riders– Deloraine weekend: Saturday 26 June
- North west riders – Don Latrobe: Sunday 29 August
- North west riders – Railton Sheffield Paradise: Sunday 26 September
- North west riders – Gunns Plains: Sunday 31 October
Bicycle Network Tasmania accredits Social Ride Leaders and requires anyone interested in leading rides to be accredited. If you would like to be one of our Ride Leaders, please email our Rides Coordinator with your contact details and what sort of riding you are interested in and we'll let you know when the next Ride Leader Skills Development Workshop is scheduled.
Our social rides leaders are following a set of protocols to help make our rides compliant with government directions:
- Meeting places for rides will have plenty of space for people to maintain 1.5 to 2 metre distancing while unloading bikes, listening to the briefing, and getting ready to ride.
- Riders are asked to register online or via phone so there is no paper being handed around on the day.
- Ride leaders will have sanitiser on hand in case of needing to touch bikes or riders.
- People are asked not to attend rides if they have fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, shortness of breath or runny nose.