The upgrade of Childs Road in Mill Park moves to the major construction stage on Wednesday.
The upgrade of Childs Road also delivers a bike underpass on the Darebin Creek Trail.
Although there will be no restriction on bike access during stage 1, riders should remain alert while riding through the work zone.
The work zone is Childs Road between Bowman Drive and Prince of Wales Avenue.
Works at this location are expected to last six to eight weeks and will be underway from 9.30am to 3.00pm.
A 40 kmh speed restriction is in place and traffic will be managed with shuttle flow.
Works on the Childs Road site office have been completed. A smaller secondary site office will also be set up near Darebin Creek in the coming months.
The walking and cycling path on the southern side of Childs Road will be temporarily closed while the main site office is in place.
Riders can still use the path on the northern side of Childs Road during this time.
As well as the underpass for the trail the project will:
- build new shared walking and bike path connections
- new separated paths on both sides of the bridge
- add an extra lane in each direction between Beaumont Crescent and Prince of Wales Avenue
- upgrade the roundabout to traffic lights at Bowman Drive
- build a new bridge over Darebin Creek and upgrade the existing bridge
- add a pedestrian operated traffic light to the crossing at the left turn from Dalton Road onto Childs Road
- install safety barriers along the road
This article was made possible by the support of Bicycle Network's members who enable us to make bike riding better in Australia.