Our volunteer social ride leaders delivered a great year in 2020 with rides offered most weeks, and this year is looking like more of the same, with multiple rides on offer over summer.
We’ve also got a training session for new social ride leaders next month which should see more rides coming on line in coming months. If you'd like to attend the workshop at 9 am on Sunday 31 January at 210 Collins Street in Hobart, please email us or register online.
If you’ve never been on a social ride, this is a great time to check them out. Not only do you enjoy a ride in the safety of a group, you get to meet other riders and discover new routes to get around town or recreational paths and routes.
For those of you who've lounged through January soaking up Tasmania's limited summer vibes, it may be time to get back into healthier routines and the Knocklofty Knee-trembler on Saturday 30 January will certainly jolt you back into it.
Utilising Hobart's steeper climbs, the 26 km route heads up into Knocklofty Reserve, Mt Stuart and Wellington Park before an easier return along the Intercity Cycleway. Coffee stop along the way for a chat and resting the muscles.
RSVP online as the ride will be cancelled if the weather is looking frightful.
North-west Riders – Riana Loop
Our north-west group is going to Ride Riana on Sunday 31 January with two route options, each about 24 km, depending on your appetite for hills.
RSVP online and meet at 10.45 am at Riana Pioneer Park, about 1.8 km south of the town, and choose the steeper Camena Loop or flatter ride out to West Pine and back.
BYO lunch to eat at the park afterwards.
E-bike Coffee Club – Cadbury Loop
The E-bike Coffee Cruise is an easy 29 km trip out to Claremont and back along the Intercity Cycleway, leaving at 10 am on Thursday 4 February from the Cenotaph Car Park.
It's a great opportunity to get confidence on your e-bike and talk to other e-bike riders over a coffee at MONA, or just go for a ride! RSVP online in case the ride gets cancelled.
Here's one for the western shore riders to get a taste of all the eastern shore has to offer on Saturday 6 February.
Meet at the Cenotaph car park at 9.15 am to head over the bridge and along the Clarence Foreshore Trail down to Tranmere then back along quiet roads and paths. If you don't want to ride across the bridge just let rider leader Greg know and he'll arrange a meeting place at Bellerive.
There'll be a coffee stop along the way, please RSVP, and we'll aim to return about 12.15 pm.
Women on Wheels – Montrose and Moonah
Our next Women on Wheels ride is along the Intercity Cycleway out to Montrose and back on Sunday 7 February.
Leaving the Cenotaph Car Park at 10.15 am, the 21 km ride is suitable for all experience levels, and we'll stop for a coffee at Baked on the return leg.
Please RSVP online in case of cancellation.
Upcoming rides & events
Social rides are featured in each edition of In the Loop, but if you want more notice visit our social rides calendar, which is regularly updated.
- E-bike coffee club – Lenah Valley Looper: Thursday 18 February
- North-west Riders – Wynyard into the Hills: Sunday 28 February
- E-bike coffee club – Cenotaph & Cascade Loop: Thursday 4 March
- Women on Wheels – Margate to Snug Loop: Sunday 7 March
- Bike Week Family Ride to Cornelian Bay: Saturday 13 March
- Kingborough Treasure Hunt: Sunday 14 March
- E-bike coffee club – City to Pipeline: Thursday 18 March
- Women on Wheels – Location TBC: Sunday 4 April
- E-bike coffee club – Lap of North Bruny: Thursday 15 April
Our social rides leaders are following a set of protocols to help make our rides compliant with government directions:
- Meeting places for rides will have plenty of space for people to maintain 1.5 to 2 metre distancing while unloading bikes, listening to the briefing, and getting ready to ride.
- Riders are asked to register online or via phone so there is no paper being handed around on the day.
- Ride leaders will have sanitiser on hand in case of needing to touch bikes or riders.
- People are asked not to attend rides if they have fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, shortness of breath or runny nose.