Our Women on Wheels ride earlier this month was cancelled due to wind, which means we have two rides coming up in the next few weeks as well as our north-west riders group monthly ride.
WoW take on the Pipeline
WoW will have their second go at taking on the Pipeline track on Saturday 20 December, leaving from the Fern Tree Tavern at 10am.
Meet at 9.45 am to be briefed before starting the easy 25 km ride along the unsealed track which suits mountain bikes, sturdy hybrids or sturdy e-bikes. The track condition is variable, with some parts rockier than others.
The group can decide on the day if they want to include a walk to Silver Falls or Wellington Falls, but you’ll need to bring your own lock.
The ride will finish at the tavern by 1 pm for coffee/lunch. RSVP at https://ridewithgps.com/events/141638-women-on-wheels-pipeline-track
Start the new year on a roll
We don’t have many social rides scheduled yet for January but the WoW team have put their hands up for the 29 km ride out to Cadburys and back along the Intercity Cycleway on Sunday 3 January.
Meet at 10.15 am at the Cenotaph car park for this supportive ride to help women build their bike riding confidence and stamina, and also have some fun!
This is a straightforward ride along the cycleway and back, with a loop around the Cadbury estate. All bikes and rider abilities welcome, we can stop for a coffee along the way too if the group feels like it.
The ride is due to finish around 12.30 pm, please RSVP so you can be contacted in case of cancellation https://ridewithgps.com/events/140228-women-on-wheels-icc-to-cadbury-estate
North-west ride planning session and Penguin ride
Our north-west riders have swapped their usual last Sunday in the month for the first Sunday 3 January for a planning session for 2021’s rides and several rides out from Turners Beach.
Meet at the Berry Patch for one of three ride options on the day:
- 11 am departure for people wanting to ride to Penguin and back either via the coast both ways or out via South Road then back along the coast (37 km).
- 30 am departure for an easy 14 km ride to West Ulverstone and back.
- 30 am departure for the hill climbers for a 23 km route up Stubbs Rd hill to Forth, along George and Williams streets to Braddons Lookout and Leith and returning via Leith and Forth roads.
The planning session will begin after the ride with lunch at 1 pm at the Berry Patch. To RSVP to the ride or lunch contact Roger Nichols https://ridewithgps.com/events/141666-new-year-s-ride-northwest-riders
Upcoming rides & events
Social rides are featured in each edition of In the Loop, but if you want more notice visit our social rides calendar, which is regularly updated. The next edition of In the Loop won’t be published until the end of January 2021.
- 6–13 March – Tasmanian Bike Week
Bicycle Network Tasmania accredits Social Ride Leaders and requires anyone interested in leading rides to be accredited. If you would like to be one of our Ride Leaders, please email our Rides Coordinator with your contact details and what sort of riding you are interested in and we'll let you know when the next Ride Leader Skills Development Workshop is scheduled.
Our social rides leaders are following a new set of protocols to help make our rides compliant with government directions:
- Meeting places for rides will have plenty of space for people to maintain 1.5 to 2 metre distancing while unloading bikes, listening to the briefing, and getting ready to ride.
- Riders are asked to register online or via phone so there is no paper being handed around on the day.
- Ride leaders will have sanitiser on hand in case of needing to touch bikes or riders.
- People are asked not to attend rides if they have fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, shortness of breath or runny nose.