After a COVID-induced hiatus, our e-bike coffee cruises are back with the first scheduled to the @thepicnicbasket.com.au Picnic Basket in Sandy Bay on Thursday 19 November.
Meet at Brooke Street Pier on the Hobart waterfront from 9.45 am for a 10 am departure, with the return at about 12.30 pm.
This is a super relaxed ride for e-bike riders, although all riders are welcome if you can keep up with the e-bikes.
The 20 km route follows quiet streets in Battery Point, the painted bike lanes on Sandy Bay Road then the sealed shoulder through Taroona along the Channel Highway and back.
If you are a bit nervous riding on roads, this is a good ride to do with the company of the group to help you along.
And if you are interested in electric bicycles and want to know more it’s a great opportunity to talk to experienced e-bike riders over coffee.
Please RSVP online, using the instructions in the event description: https://ridewithgps.com/events/140014-e-bike-coffee-cruise-picnic-basket
Kangaroo Bay & Local Bush Tracks
Hobart’s eastern shore abounds with pockets of bushland and this 16 km ride on Sunday 29 November will take you to three hilltops, each with superb views.
The 2.5 hour ride will explore local bike and bush tracks linking Waverley Flora Park, Rose Bay Hill and Rosny Hill. It’s suitable for hybrid, mountain and tough e-bikes and while the pace will be cruisy there are few hills and rough tracks to tackle.
There will be a coffee stop at Bellerive Village at the end of the ride for those up for a chat.
Please RSVP online as the ride will be cancelled if it’s too windy/rainy. https://ridewithgps.com/events/134794-kangaroo-bay-and-local-bush-tracks
Meet at the Kangaroo car park at 8.45 am ready for 9 am departure.
Upcoming rides & events
Social rides are featured in each edition of In the Loop, but if you want more notice visit our social rides calendar, which is regularly updated.
- Sunday 29 November – north-west ride TBC
- Thursday 3 December – E-bike Coffee Cruise Queens View
- Sunday 6 December – WoW Pipeline Track
- Sunday 3 January – WoW to Cadbury Estate
- 6–13 March – Tasmanian Bike Week
Bicycle Network Tasmania accredits Social Ride Leaders and requires anyone interested in leading rides to be accredited. If you would like to be one of our Ride Leaders, please email our Rides Coordinator with your contact details and what sort of riding you are interested in and we'll let you know when the next Ride Leader Skills Development Workshop is scheduled.
Our social rides leaders are following a new set of protocols to help make our rides compliant with government directions:
- Meeting places for rides will have plenty of space for people to maintain 1.5 to 2 metre distancing while unloading bikes, listening to the briefing, and getting ready to ride.
- Riders are asked to register online or via phone so there is no paper being handed around on the day.
- Ride leaders will have sanitiser on hand in case of needing to touch bikes or riders.
- People are asked not to attend rides if they have fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, shortness of breath or runny nose.