Throughout the month of August, Bicycles for Humanity are teaming up with Strava to host the 2020 Pedal for a Purpose Virtual Challenge, with an aim to clock a combined 11,000 kilometres of riding — the distance from Melbourne to Namibia.
Why Namibia? Because this virtual event is raising funds to support Bicycles for Humanity's mission to alleviate poverty and improve access to basic human needs within African communities utilising the humble bicycle.
They're encouraging bike riders from all over the globe to join the Bicycles for Humanity Melbourne Strava club and add your August rides to the total goal, with prizes up for grabs including lights and bells from Knog and vouchers from Bicycle Superstore.
Joining the virtual challenge
All you have to do to join the Pedal for Purpose Virtual Challenge is:
- Download the Strava mobile app on your smart phone.
- Use this link to join the Bicycles for Humanity Melbourne Strava Cycling Club
- Ride, run, walk or track your active kilometres as a member of the Bicycles for Humanity Strava Cycling Club.
- Follow the prompts to donate via MyCause
- Share the love and spread the word on Social Media using the hashtag #B4HVirtualChallenge
In the name of funding futures, Bicycles for Humanity welcome all participants who join the challenge to make a donation and/or call on friends and family to support the cause.
Just $20 is enough to send a donated bicycle to Africa — and it’s tax deductible.
See you on Strava!
This article was made possible by the support of Bicycle Network's members who enable us to make bike riding better in Australia.