Regular riders on the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail through Essendon will welcome an upgrade this week to a poor, sub-standard section of track that has been crying out for improvement for years.
Between Wiseman Court and Primrose Street there was a strip of ancient, cracked asphalt adjacent to a steep drop-off to the Creek.
Now the City of Moonee Valley has an upgrade underway that will:
- Replace the asphalt with concrete and widening to 3.0 metres where possible
- Realign the path for gentler curves and provide greater clearances to hazards
- Lift the shared path at the dip
- Remove existing fencing near the Wiseman Court entrance of the shared path
- Install give way signage and line marking at the Primrose Street entrance of the shared path
These changes should make this awkward section of the trail much more comfortable for all users.
Works should be completed within two to three weeks.
A minor detour will be in place with path users to enter and exit the shared path at Fitzgerald Road and re-connect to the path at Vanberg Road.
The detour should have minimal impact on journey times.