The phrase “to the moon and back” is thrown around a bit, but that is actually how far all of this year’s United Energy Around the Bay participants will be combining to pedal.
That’s right, with almost 10,000 people registered for rides ranging from 20km to 300km, a total of 1,079,660 kilometres will be ridden this Sunday around Port Phillip Bay.
To put that into perspective – sort of – that equates to:
- About 27 trips around the globe
- Half a million laps of the Flemington racetrack
- 2,297,149 laps of the MCG
- 25,587 marathons
All taking place between sun-up and sun-down this Sunday.
But the amazing stats don’t stop there!
To make this event happen, the event team at Bicycle Network will require:
- 180kg of hydration powder, to brew around 6,000 litres (or 60 bath tubs!) of Gatorade
- About 30,000 cable ties
- More than 1,000 hi-vis vests
- 500 metres of banner signage
- 3000 sausages
- 8000 sandwiches
- 0 chicken sandwiches, an adjustment based on last year’s feedback!
There are also 450 amazing volunteers who are critical to the success of this event – a record number for Around the Bay.
Be sure to say thanks when you see them out on the road, at rest stops and when you hand you your medal at the finish line.
Sound like fun? It's not too late to get involved!
Entries to United Energy Around the Bay are still open, and will be on sale right up until the event begins. With over 10 ride options ranging from 20km to 300km, there's something for everyone at United Energy Around the Bay.