Bicycle Network: Great Escapade
WARBY Tips - How to remove & replace your pedals
WARBY Tom & Tony offer their tips for removing and replacing your pedals
Memorise CRANK FRONT - SPANNER BACK - PUSH DOWN
- Step 1 Put the chain on the biggest cog ("chainring") at the front to cover up the teeth and the smallest cog at the back.
- Step 2 Wear bike gloves
- Step 3 Use a 15mm Pedal Spanner
- Step 4 Rotate the pedal arm ("crank") to point towards the FRONT of the bike
- Step 5 Put the Spanner onto the pedal so the Spanner points towards the BACK of the bike
- Step 6 Push DOWN
or put simply : CRANK FRONT - SPANNER BACK - PUSH DOWN
Memorise BACK OFF
Here's a simple rule to remember which direction to turn the 15mm Pedal Spanner
when removing pedals:
- With the 15mm Pedal Spanner at the 12 o'clock position, turn the spanner towards the BACK of the bike.
- Remember the phrase "Back Off"
- This works for BOTH the left and right pedals.
- Each pedal is stamped with an L for Left or an R for Right. Generally on the end of the threaded bit.
Putting Pedals On
You must be VERY careful when you put the pedals back on at the Start of the Ride:
- You MUST put the pedal stamped L on the LEFT side and pedal stamped R on the RIGHT side and turn the spanner towards the FRONT of the bike
- This works for BOTH the left and right pedal.
- Pedals should be firm but not super tight