Bicycle Network: Bike Futures Services
Information for Counters
Learn more about registering as a volunteer counter for Super Sunday and read the Step-by Step Guide so you can complete a successful count.
To find out how to complete a successful Super Sunday Recreation Count, please either read the steps below or download the pdf version in the right hand panel.
Step 1: Registration
- You will need to complete an online registration process to register as a Super Sunday counter, to ensure that we have the necessary details to contact you and so that you can reserve your count location.
- The online registration is a two-step process: you will need to fill an out e-form and then click a link in a confirmation email. This second step will finalise your registration.
- The online registration form allows you to choose which available site you want to count at. A link in the registration form will take you to a web-based map where you will be able to click on a marker and ‘book’ the count site of your choice – so it’s first in best dressed!
- The registration form also allows you to nominate a Bicycle User Group (BUG), club or school to receive your $120 donation (for 4 hours).
- Once you have registered, you will receive a confirmation email showing your personal details, your count site, your access code / rider number (to enable you to enter data after the count) and the non-profit organisation you nominated to receive your donation.
- When you receive your confirmation email, it is really important that you click on the link in that email to confirm with us that you are definitely on board for the count.
- Once you have successfully registered in Step 1, there are three steps to conduct a valid count.
Step 2: Before the Count
- Check the location of your count site on a street directory or on Google maps or Google Earth (see maps.google.com.au/).
- Study the intersection you will be counting – some are four-way, some are three-way – and determine which type your site is.
- You will receive a PDF count sheet that matches your intersection as an attachment to your confirmation email. This count sheet should match your intersection. If your count sheet does not match your count site, email us and we will send you a correct sheet. Please do not use any other template, including ones used in previous years.
- Check your count site against your map location and the description in your confirmation email, and enter the leg names on your count sheet (write them exactly as they appear in your confirmation email).
- You can check that you have the legs correctly labelled on your count sheet by looking at your map. Some count site locations will have new facilities/infrastructure that may not be mapped yet. Don’t panic – these sites may just need a bit more working out.
- Fill in each of the street or path names at your location on your count sheet. You might want to print and label a spare count sheet, too.
- The day before, prepare your count sheet – it’s a good idea to organise a clipboard, a spare pen, a folding chair, food, drink and sunscreen, especially if you're counting for 4 hours.
Step 3: On Super Sunday
- Be in place and ready to count the first user at your start time
- Mark the count sheet and marvel at how many users there are these days. We suggest using the block of five ‘gate method’ of four uprights slashed diagonally when the fifth rider goes past.
- Stop counting at your designated finish time – don’t inflate the figures. Councils need accurate data and analysis of data from adjacent count locations will expose any inaccurate counting. We cannot pay your nominated organisation if we cannot use your data.
Step 4: After the Count
- Go to the Super Sunday web page
- The data entry section of this page will not go live until 3pm on the day of the count
- Enter your rider number and email. These were provided in the confirmation email. If you've lost that email, please use the "forgotten your rider number" link.
- Follow the instructions on the screen and enter your count data.
- If you are unable to complete this form online, please scan and email the count sheet back to us at Bicycle Network.
- If you do not have access to a computer, please photocopy your count sheet and mail us one copy in the pre-paid return envelope.
Of course if you have any further questions, please contact the Super Sunday Management Team.