[edit: updated 11/8 with truing of truing stand, and a bit of procrastination]
[edit: updated 10/8 with question re: spoke hole polarities]
[edit: updated 7/8 with question re: spoke holes]
[edit: updated 6/8 with questions re: spoke lengths]
[edit: updated 27/7 with pics of the newly-acquired tools and parts]
I thought I'd start a new thread for this, to document my progress .
So far, I've worked out what parts I'll be needing, plus the tools. I'll be getting them all from CRC, except for the dynohub (and possibly the spokes). Parts and tools will be:
- Park Tool TS2.2 truing stand - $281;
- Park Tool truing stand base - $50.50;
- Park Tool wheel alignment gauge / dishing tool - $65;
- SON28 32h front dynohub - $319 *;
- Shimano XT T780 rear hub - $58;
- DT Swiss TK540 36h rear rim - $79;
- DT Swiss TK540 32h front rim - $84;
- DT Swiss Alpine III triple-butted spokes - approx. $110? ** ;
- Some washers? - $10 ***
Total - $1065 . Everybody needs a hobby, but I guess mine will be expensive this month. Last time I got St Kilda Cycles to build me a new wheelset, I think it cost roughly $600 for the parts + labour, but the hubs weren't replaced, and the spokes they chose may not be the ones I mentioned above. The cost of the new tools alone is $400, but at least it's once only. I already have a spoke tensiometer - I got one from CRC at least a month ago, planning ahead .
I haven't ordered the above yet, by the way, so if you have any comments before I do this, feel free.
* I might have bought this online, too, but the online price at 2 different vendors, SJS and Rosebikes, was about $305 including delivery, so I decided to just pick one up a St Kilda Cycles, because there's hardly any price difference, and this will make any warranty claims easier.
** Haven't sourced these, yet, but I've asked CRC if they can get them, since I couldn't find this model on their site.
*** In case the spoke elbows aren't sitting on the hub flanges firmly enough. Just something I saw mentioned on the Harris Cyclery wheelbuilding page, so I may not need these washers.