Had my first taste of riding a bikeshare bike today.
Once I got over:
- wearing work pants/shirt
- wearing work shoes/ no cleats
- sitting more upright
- the different (ie. rock hard) seat
- the broken bell
- I wasn't wearing a helmet (it was too hot, the entire trip was off road, before peakhour, noone saw, so it really didn't happen....)
- I deliberately didn't ride on the bike path in Docklands
- I rode slowly as not used to such a different bike setup
- the lack of gears 400 gears
The 900 metre
ride back to work wasn't so bad - yeah I took it for a loooonnngggg ride.....
Very easy to use the machine to pay for the bike, although didn't bother reading the 80pages of terms/conditions on the tiny screen. (I'm sure common sense would prevail and I take full responsibility for my actions and outcomes)
Funnily I actually feel "weird"/ self conscious about not wearing a helmet. Just so used to wearing a helmet that I felt naked without it, road laws and helmet law-opinions aside.
In another 7.5 hours I get the joy of riding one back to pick up the commuter from servicing. Hellva lot more convenient than getting a car services - just quietly. Joys of working @ Dockylands
Good to know I can now consider these a viable option to get to various meetings around the CBD as that first time hesitation has been addressed.