With just over a week to go until this event, I thought I'd send out some more details.
First and foremost, this is going to be a fun event! I visited the velodrome last Friday and I have to say it looks fantastic. I'm chomping at the bit to get out there, hope you are too!
We have confirmed 12 riders so far, with another 8 places available. If you haven't committed yet, please do so! Friends are also more than welcome to join in, and there's plenty of seating for spectators if you want to bring a cheer squad.
We have a sponsorship update too - SPC Ardmona (an affiliate of Coca-Cola) has graciously supplied a few cases of Powerade for us all. Many thanks!Dress code:
- wear something warm! It gets quite cold inside the venue, so it might be a bit chilly inbetween events.
- while on the track, lycra is best. Shorts and a t-shirt will do at a pinch
- NO CYCLING SHOES OR CLEATS! The rental bikes all have toestraps so regular running shoes will be fine. Of course if you have your own track bike, you're welcome to bring it with you.
- No other types of bikes allowed on the track - leave your little sister's trike at home!Safety:
- Helmets are a must. Let me know if you don't have one and I can organise a few of the gorgeous Melbourne Bike Share ones.
- Wear a base layer under your jersey, or even wear a second jersey. Having this extra layer will help if you happen to fall / slide across the track.
- I noticed everyone was wearing eyewear on the track, probably a good idea when we're flying around the velodrome at 6 or 60km/hr
Clear lenses are perfect, but there's enough lighting to use dark lenses also.Payment:
- $30 can be paid to me on the day, or you can donate directly at my fundraising page : http://ml12.conquercancer.org.au/goto/MarkMaiolo
- If you or your family/friends feel so inclined, any donations via this page would be greatly appreciated also!Other notes:
- Of course we want to give it everything out on the track, but be warned : the Cycling Victoria website specifically mentions "cyclists are responsible for cleaning any mess caused as a result of vomiting." 110% efforts at your own peril
Looking forward to seeing you all there! I guarantee it's going to be plenty of fun. And remember we're also heading down to the Ivanhoe Hotel afterwards to watch the Preliminary Final... or just discuss Malthouse's plan to garner Carlton's premiership in 2013...
See y'all next week!