Personal Ride Report in Highlights & Lowlights
- Started in a beautiful setting bathed in morning sunshine...arm warmers and a vest were perfect.
- Initial pace was comfortable, gave me a chance to have good chin-wag with Bones
- Rolling hills to the foot of Mount Donna Buang provided some great terrain
- Leading the peloton up the start Mount Donna Buang (my first crack at this climb)
- Having to empty my 2nd water bottle 500m later when I realised how tough the climb was!
- Riding (at the back) in the leading group for the first half of the climb, until I had to find my own (slower) tempo.
- Seeing a rider fly down Mount Donna Buang when I was half-way up...I assume he was a solo breakaway and was tearing the course to shreds!
- Realising (at 60km) that the on-course 10km markers were actually before their marking point...and I had more than 6km to go to the summit
- Admiring the stunning views of the Yarra Valley & Dandenongs on the ascent and reaching the summit in just over an hour
- The beautiful winding descent...I imagine it's freezing-cold in winter but today was sensational
- Feeling sorry for the poor bloke who was walking his bike from about half-way up.
- Return trip in a group of about 7 riders at a good pace with the sun on our backs...but after I did a turn at 44km/h, I spent the final 20km hanging-on at the rear!http://bit.ly/fieLLY
Thanks to all the volunteers and organisers. A great day for riding.