I was wondering what type of tent everyone is taking, and what experiences you've had in the past?
My first ride... Tassie '95 was with a basic tall dome tent. My then boyfriend spent a night holding the roof/wall of the tent off his chest. In any sort of strong wind the windward wall of these tests goes from a convex curve to a concave one. I also discoved that when the 'outer' touches the 'inner' you get wet inside your tent.
So... I used my 'caribee cadis' from then on. I was very happy with for many years, until a rainy night on the NZ ride when I discovered the nylon floor was no longer waterproof.
I found it impossible to buy a simmilar 'tunnel tent' to the caribee cadis, and bought my macpac olympus, which would have been perfect for the NZ trip, and was indeed great on Tassie '05, but was too hot for the GVBR a couple of months ago.
I walked around checking out tents for:
* Stability in the wind (we always seem to get at least one very windy night on these tours)
* very waterproof, tub floor... for those waterlogged campsites.
* vestibles for keeping your smelly shoes etc in.
* 'outers' that don't look like they'd touch the 'inner'
* ventilation for the hot nights and warm afternoons.
I'm currently considering selling my olympus and buying a Dart 2. People seemed happy with these. My husband will be in a separate tent but is currently looking for something cheaper and lighter than the Dart 2.