It's all navigtable, but when you come apon Southbank/Crown promenade you got to avoid all the pedestrians & take it real easy.
If you’re doing the City bike trail for the 1st time there are some things to be aware of that don’t come across in a lot of maps or route sheets.
Travelling clockwise from Morrell Bridge (Melways ref 2G, ,E11):
• Best to say on the path south of the Yarra.
• Pass the Boating club houses, under Princess Bridge through Southbank, take it slow lots of pedestrians.
• On Sundays the area under Princess bridge is full of market stalls & impassable riding your bike, you’ll have to walk through. Or you can hug the arm rail & squeeze between the arm rail & pylons to get by.
• When you get to Melb Exhibition Centre you’ll have to go onto the Boardwalk next to the river (or take to the grass alongside the Exhibition building). The Boardwalk has ramps next to Pollywoodside that take you to some wharf sheds, you’ll be looking to turn left when you can & get to the back of the wharf sheds to continue west to the ‘Eel trap bridge’ (which features in lots of car ads funny enough).
• From eel trap bridge , go past Docklands go along Footscray rd & cross at Moonee Ponds creek head north taking the path alongside Moonee Ponds creek all the way to Mt Alexander Rd.
• At Mt Alexander Rd do a 180 turn right & go up the ramp to the rail station, then turning 180 left taking the overpass nth/east to the park(s) & zoo.
• At Royal Park Rail station, go across the rail crossing & take the path east on the ‘Zoo side’ of the station & train line.
• A few paths veer off, take the path under Royal Parade, it’s 2x large/long bridges out to Princess park, head East.
• At Rushall rail Station go the underpass & then stay south of Merri Creek, follow path.
• Go under the Eastern fway overpass & just follow the path downstream Merri Creek into Yarra river, just follow downstream all the way.