these are great ideas! and it is even a better idea for a thread.
So here is my contribution of 10 tips.
1) Take an old plastic film canister and fill it full of sun screen so you can reapply it at your lunch stop. ($0.00 from photo shops).
2) Get a roll of coloured plumbers tape and tape an interesting pattern on your bag - so that you can recognised it quickly amoungst a pile of 200 bags at the end of the day ($2.00)
3) Use those zip lock bags to pre-package measured doses of Staminade or Gatorade powder to refill your water bottles at the start of the day. ($1.00 for the bags) ($1.00 per day for the powder)
4) Take along a couple of boxes of muesli bars for on the bike and between meal snacks - you save $ by not buying junk food and it is healthier too. ($3.50 per box of 10)
5)Get a cheap digital watch with an alarm - it saves your "good watch" and is usefull for early morning starts (without waking up the tent next to you) and for waking you from your afternoon naps in time for the showers (my preferred time is 15 mins after the start of dinner) - ($3 to $5)
6) When riding on the road - stay legal and safe by NEVER
riding more than two abreast - there are always cars and faster riders on the road that will be looking to pass - so DON'T
endanger yourself or them by riding in the middle of the lane or more than 2 abreast. ($Free!)
7) Wave and thank car drivers who wait for you to pass (free)
Communicate to other riders on the road to let them know what you are doing, and what you can see (eg: yelling "Passing" "Passing on the Left" ,"Passing on the Right", "Stopping" "Car/riders Back" - for a car or riders behind you looking to pass. This leads to safer riding and less hospital expenses - ($Free!!)
9) Dont wait to drink when you are thirsty - but then it is too late and your dehydrated! If your dehydrated your riding day could be over. ($Free)
10) Use chamois cream to avoid chaffing and painful saddle sores. Dont wait to buy it on the ride - I can recommend Assos Chamois Creme - from Cecil Walker or from Asssos.com.au Cost is Approx $1.00 per day or $25 per tub.