1) only people who HAD a vasectomy are allowed to call it "the snip". To do so is disrespectful - like calling a caesarian "the scoop". <soapbox>
2) It's painful. The procedure itself is more or less traumatic depending on how well you like having two complete strangers (one of them most likely a female nurse) fondle your best bits, stare at them for a while, then do awful awful things to them.
Personally I had a bad nauseous reaction to the anaesthetic - and it wasn't like they gave me a nice quiet room with a drink of apple juice to calm down. They plonked me in a couch in the hall and then I staggered out into the car and got driven home groaning.
The worst part was the first week. Balls the size of oranges. Each. Stitches. Ice. Mobility problems. Sleeping problems. Don't believe the hype - it's a big deal and not to be taken lightly.
3) I was back on the bike in I think about 3 weeks. Maybe 2. It depends how it goes. Some guys - 2 days later. For me it wasn't really comfortable for at least 6 weeks to do riding - had to ride with my knees splayed.
4) Where to go? Private = $$$. But there are plenty of bulk billing places around. I think I paid about $50 for mine through some western district men's health scheme or something or other. No waiting period, Dr was nice enough.
5) Do it because YOU want to. Not because your wife pressures you into it. Seriously, you'd regret it. I did it for my own perfectly good reasons and I regret it - I've had a dream where I met and hung out with my unborn daughter all night and it ended with her telling me we'd meet up again that it was best this way. (Not saying I had an astral experience, I'm saying that my not-very-sub-conscious was trying to tell me something).
I detest getting to work more sleepy poor and bored than when I left home.