For me riding to work wins for several reasons:
1) It's fun. I enjoy riding my bike in all weathers (yes, even rain, hail, snow etc) so for over two hours a day I'm having fun! That's gotta be good.
2) The time difference isn't that great. Out of bed to sitting behind my desk on the bike is 1hr 40 (that includes breakfast, ablutiosn, getting changed etc) On the train it takes me 1hr15, with 40 minutes of that on a packed train. Forty minutes on a train when I could be riding? You're mad I tell you!
3) It's more reliable. Wind dependent I have a variance of ten minutes door to door. Beat that Connex!
4) Health, I burn through three and a half to four thousand calories a day. Lay them carbs on me baby!
5) I get my happy drugs. Cycling promotes seratonin, endorphins (when I push hard enough) and all other sorts of goodness. I feel crappy if I don't ride for a couple of days.
6) Independance. I'm not beholden to a time table or trying to beat rush hour.
7) Parking. Dead easy on the bike (OK, I'm lucky in that I have secure parking in each of my four work locations).
Fasted way around the CBD. I work in Spring Street and Flinders Street. Nipping between the two is fun and quick on the bike.
9) Cheap! Hey, I am Scottish
10) Did I mention that it's fun?
Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . .