Ok... So this was my first 'Round the Bay'. I bought a bike 8 weeks ago... did a bit of training and headed out for the 100km Sorrento->Docklands bash run.
Having read all the other posts i thought i'd try and post a list of goods AND bads about my first experience (not having the baggage of previous ride experiences).
* Email updates for weeks prior were excellent - full of good info
* Training DVD was excellent - very useful info
* It was an awesome experience riding with so many others - met lotsa great people
* Loved the 3 days prior to event to pickup the jersey and bibs - good availability
* Good PR/Media coverage - all major TV networks/papers - that's a great advertisement for cycling
* Police at end of beach Road - much appreciated
* Lots of courteous drivers
* The jersey - i actually think its pretty cool
Areas for Improvement
* Bib Saga. blah blah blah (I wont repeat what others have already stated but needless to say it was a disaster)
* Toilets at Sorrento (near the carpark where the buses were stopping) ran out of Toilet Paper and there were hardly any toilets. Uncomfortable start to the day!
(maybe a couple of Portaloos?)
* I was looking for the start line at 8:10am but was unable to find - there was a lot of confusion and eventually i just left with some others... seemed hugely disorganised and the volunteers didnt seem to be able to provide much guidance... a lot of people still dont seem to know if they started at the actual start.
* Signage was Marginal in my opinion... The green on white signs seemed to just blend in with other street signs... go for a bright fluoro sign all the way
* I completely missed the lunch stop in Frankston... there were signs saying rest break but I didnt see or hear anything saying "LUNCH"... need to make it more obvious.
* "Show bag" could not be more poorly named... Just a heap of advertising and Potato Salad. Honestly... that was embarrassing... I like to think as bike riders we support keeping a clean env't. not contribute to the masses of waste paper advertising... leave the ads in the DVD maybe - or maybe stick them on the jersey!
On balance I had a great day and will definitely be back for the full 210km next year. Do I feel I got value for money - no chance... but somehow the achievement of doing 100km in a day means more to me than focussing on the negatives. But hopefully there will be less of them next year.