Accredited Practising Dietitian
Nutrition in Endurance events - around the Bay in a Day suggest this;
Preparation for Competition
* Pre event fuelling (carbohydrate increase or loading), in combination with exercise tapering, can help to prevent, or at least delay fatigue during exercise.
* Vital in events longer than 90 mins such as ATB will increase duration of steady state exercise by ~20% and improve performance over a set distance by ~2-3%
* Carbohydrate Loading requires 7-10g/kg of CHO. it is usually associated with ~2kg weight gain which can be measured as positive reinforcement that it is working. For ATB, may only require 6-8g/kg of CHO.
* Must use mainly good quality, mainly low glycaemic index, carbohydrate eg pasta, multigrain salad sandwiches, porridge, yoghurt, fruit, vegetables.
* The pre-event meal should be 1-4 hours prior to the event eg normal sized meal 4 hrs before; cereal with skim milk, fruit, toast and juice or pasta with low fat sauce and juice or rolls/sandwiches and fruit andyoghurt and water. This may require getting up early!
& snack 1-2 hrs before; cereal bar, fruit, yoghurt or sports drink.
* Contributes not only by adding energy and fluid, but also adding confidence, focus and routine.
* Must prevent hunger, yet avoid gastrointestinal discomfort.
* Should be carbohydrate rich; ~200-300g in the 2-4 hours before the event. A small amount of carbohydrate is detrimental in some individuals, so important to have a substantial amount.
* Critical to start well hyrated, as often athletes are not able to match sweat losses.
* Beginning fluid overloaded has shown to improve performance, however can cause practical difficulties with the need to urinate and some gastro discomfort.
* Usually start with about 300-400 ml in the last hour before the event, approximately 120ml every 20 minutes, and then topping this up during the event suits most people.
* Sodium containing beverages(eg sports drinks) are appropriate to help with fluid retention.
* DON'T OVERHYDRATE! CAUSES HYPONATRAEMIA WHICH DECREASES PERFORMANCE.
She also talk about Fluid and Carbohydrate during the event and recovery.
Guess this question only apply to Pre-event meal. Hope this help.