Bicycle Network: Ride extensions
AllTrails is once again offering two packages for riders to extend their Bupa Around the Bay experience.
An overnight package in Portsea, leading to the Sorrento start of the 100km ride of Bupa Around the Bay.
- Avoid the (very) early bus on Sunday morning
- Enjoy a leisurely warm-up ride on Saturday
- Make the most of your time at the point of the Mornington Peninsula
- Great food & accommodation
- Bike mechanic assistance, bike safety check and support
- Luggage transfer back to Melbourne for you
- Airport transfers for interstate travellers
- Includes bus transfer for bikes and riders from Melbourne to Sorrento/Portsea on Saturday 18 October 2014
At a glance
Arriving at noon, there will time to have a look around Sorrento and have lunch and familiarise yourself with tomorrow's departure point.
After lunch short drive to our accommodation at the famous Portsea Hotel with time to prepare your bike for tomorrow. Our Mechanic will be on hand to help you out with any last minute adjustments. We will then provide maps and directions for an optional ride down to the historical Quarantine If you don't feel like riding, wander down to the lovely beach or while away the afternoon at the Bar/Bistro overlooking the Bay.
We will do a pickup at the Airport at 9am or the City at 10am on Saturday.
On Sunday, fuel up with a continental breakfast. before you cycle the leisurely 3.5km to the start line for the hugely popular Bupa Around the Bay bike ride starting from Sorrento, with a 100km route to Melbourne.
There is a truly festival atmosphere at the end of the ride as you pass through the finish arch where the bands are playing, the tents are up and bikes and people are everywhere.
Your luggage will meet you at the end of the ride at Alexandra Gardens. If you are staying at a CBD hotel we can also drop your luggage there (limited hotels). A transfer to the airport will depart at 3pm for those who are flying.
A Great Ocean Road bike tour that finishes with the 100km ride from Sorrento to Melbourne
- Ride the Great Ocean Road with full support vehicles
- See the 'Twelve Apostles' Marine National Park on the Shipwreck Coast
- Overnights at Port Campbell, Apollo Bay and Queenscliff
- Views of pristine sandy white beaches at the base of steep rocky cliffs
- Cycle past wild ocean surf and through deep thick forest
- Be a part of one of Australia's premier cycling events Bupa Around the Bay
At a glance
This magnificent jaunt along the best of the Great Ocean Road starts on Thursday 16 October and finishes as part of the exciting Bupa Around the Bay on Sunday 19 October. In between is the bike ride that you have always wanted to do, and that you will remember forever.
We will guide you along the internationally renowned Great Ocean Road for 3 days, winding past The Twelve Apostles (or is it eight now?) and around popular beach resort towns that are the home of the surfing revolution. The pounding surf against limestone cliffs is the perfect backdrop for some power pedalling, climbing hills and descending through thick forest from Warrnambool to Port Campbell, to Apollo Bay to Queenscliff.
After our last overnight stop at Queenscliff you will take the ferry across the bay to Sorrento to join the 15,000 plus cyclists in one of Australia's premier cycling events Bupa Around the Bay. The final 100km leg will see you ride proudly in through the finish arch at Alexandra Gardens to the festival atmosphere at the finish line that this famous ride generates.