Bicycle Network: Latest news
Win a Garmin Edge 810
For your chance to win a Garmin Edge 810, simply complete our survey and tell us about your best experience or memory of Bupa Around the Bay - Ride for a Child in Need. The competition closes on 14/11/14.
Photographers were out on course all Sunday snapping photos of Bupa Around the Bay riders, left right and centre!
To find your photo of the big day, head to the Sports Foto website and enter your bib number into the search bar.
If you have any issues with finding your photo, please contact Sports Foto directly.
Riding for the weather
As part of your preparation for Bupa Around the Bay it's important to check the forecast and get your gear right.
The BOM forecast for Sunday is a warm 29 degrees, mostly sunny with strong winds, north to northwesterly 35 to 50 km/h shifting southwesterly 25 to 40 km/h and a cool change setting in during the afternoon.
Here's a couple of tips for when riding in warmer or windy weather:
- Keep hydrated - As the weather heats up, staying well hydrated is the key to staying on your bike. For longer distances, it's important to carry two water bottles and to keep sipping throughout and after your ride. Water and Hydralyte will be available from all rest stops. For more tips - see Ride On magazine's 'Drink up when the heat is on'
- Be sun smart - Ensure you're adequately protected from the sun's UV rays with sunscreen/zinc, sunglasses and rest in the shade or under cover where you can.
- Work together - Much of the course is bay side, so you will have to deal with a strong headwind or tailwind. Conserve energy, ride within your limits, work together and stick in groups where possible. Here's five important tips when riding in a bunch from Drapac Cycling.
Please note that due to planned upgrade works on the Frankston and Werribee lines this weekend, trains will not run between Moorabbin and Frankston stations from 9pm on Saturday 18 October and all day on Sunday 19 October and on the Altona loop.
Trains will operate as normal between Moorabbin and Flinders Street stations.
Bicycles CANNOT be taken on the bus replacement services running between Frankston and Moorabbin stations or on the bus replacement services running to and from the Altona Loop stations.
PTV has advised that the Sandringham or Dandenong and Cranbourne lines will be operating as usual and stations on these lines may provide a suitable alternative for participants who wish to catch the train.
Participants can also catch the train from Newport or Laverton Stations.
Alternatively, SAG wagons will be running on the route all day to transport riders back to Alexandra Gardens. Please be patient.
Below are the affected stations:
Highett, Cheltenham, Mentone, Parkdale, Mordialloc, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Bonbeach, Carrum, Seaford, Kananook, Frankston
Seaholme, Altona, Westona
Merchandise running late to City Square
Our merchandise for City Square is running late. It should arrive on Wednesday but we'll post to this page and social media when it arrives. We apologise for the inconvenience.
If you're a Bicycle Network member, be sure to bring along your member card to take advantage of great deals and offers on food and gear!
- Fiesta Events & Catering — Burger/wrap & drink deal (was $13, down to $10)
- Mutter Krause — Sausage/kransky & drink deal (was $13, down to $10)
- Harajuku Crapes — Any purchase over $10, receive a free drink
- Korean Fried Chicken Truck — Any purchase over $10, receive a $2 discount
- Slushies, Slurpies & More — Any purchase over $10, receive a $2 discount
- Mobile Ice Creams — Any purchase over $10, receive a $2 discount
- Cappuccino Xpress — All medium coffees $4 (instead of $4.50)
- Sign up with CycleLeash to get a free cap!
- Raise money for the Smith Family to win a new holiday or a bike.
- Open Road Cycles — Castelli men's and women's jerseys from $40.
- SCODY — Get a free SCODY bag (RRP $19.95) with any purchase.
- Bellweather - Spend of $50 and get a free pair of socks (RRP $15)
- Ventou - Get a free pair of socks with any purchase of knicks.
Also, not to be missed are deals on bike clothing and accessories for the GO Bike Expo in Alexandra Gardens - just look for the blue cog. If you're not already a member, join before 19 October to access these discounts.
Rider kits & In-person entries
There's still time to enter in person and grab your rider kit before Bupa Around the Bay.
Details on where and when riders can collect their rider kits or enter in-person is below:
City Square (Crn Collins & Swanston St), Melbourne
- 13 - 16 October 2014: 7:30am - 4:30pm
Bupa Around the Bay Festival, Alexandra Gardens, Melbourne
- Friday 17 October: 12:00pm - 7:00pm
- Saturday 18 October: 10:00am - 5:00pm
- Sunday 19 October: 4:30am - 8:00am
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with us on 1800 639 634
GO Bike Expo 2014
After your ride, be sure to checkout the GO Bike Expo in Alexandra Gardens.
The GO Bike expo runs from Friday 17 - Sunday 19 October with a heap of special offers for Bupa Around the Bay participants and bicycle lovers.
There will be stands from all of our key partners and from a number of other organisations. If you love riding then be sure to check out this amazing celebration of cycling.
To find out more, click here.
TeamUp is giving you and a friend the chance to win a free 50km entry to the Bupa Around The Bay on Sunday 19 October.
For your chance to win, create a cycling activity on the TeamUp app and then private message us on Facebook to let us know you about your activity. It is that simple!
Competition closes 5pm, Friday 10 October. You must be over 18 to enter. Good luck!
To download the app to your smartphone, visit teamup.com.au
Could you be our next Bupa Around the Bay media star?
23 September 2014. Are you taking on the challenge of the sold-out 210km anti-clockwise ride with a bunch of your mates? If you are, we want to hear from you!
We're doing a casting call for Bupa Around the Bay riders to feature in this year's event video. Ideally we are after a group of 4-5 riders between the ages of 25-45 and confident in their ability to complete the 210 anti-clockwise ride.
If you're happy to be filmed and ride with a GoPro on your bike, get in touch and send us your pic via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kathy Watt Cycles are offering discounted specials to all Bicycle Network members participating of Bupa Around the Bay 2014, in the lead up to the event.
- Get your bike serviced from $69, (includes a bike wash, tuning of brakes and gears, safety check and torquing of all nuts and bolts)
- Grab 15% off any parts required for the service.
- Take 20% off on all clothing and accessories for participants in the lead up to the big day.
- Don't leave nutrition till the last minute; stock up on the essentials and ask for expert advice on what to eat and drink.
- Get some extra tubes for the ride with 10 for $70
Just bring your Bicycle Network membership card to take advantage of these great offers.
Kathy Watt Cycles
303 Beach Rd
PH: (03) 9589 4544
Keep up-to-date with the latest news from Bupa Around the Bay.
Ride guide released
Bupa Around the Bay e-news
Monday 11 August. Over the past months, we've been telling you about all the ways Bupa Around the Bay is going to be the best ever this year. Last weekend we decided to put our money where our mouth is and show riders what we're planning.
On Saturday 9 August, over 1,500 riders got to load up on a range of fresh fruit, sweet and savoury pastries, Hydralyte and Winners products as they stopped off on Beach Road, in Mordialloc.
The new rest stop will appear at Geelong and Dromana with over 10 options for fresh food, Hydralyte and Winners bars.
The food options that will be available on event are currently being developed in partnership with a sports nutritionist.
8 August. We've listened to your feedback and we're working hard to improve ferry loading at Queenscliff for our riders. Here's a snapshot of some of the changes for this year's ride:
Earlier start times for longer distances have been introduced to ease congestion and bottlenecks at key points along the route.
Riders will receive a ferry boarding time when they arrive in Queenscliff. There will also be a standby area for extras which will work to streamline traffic onto the ferry quicker.
Get the latest information with our new mobile events app. With key dates, times and news, this app provides easy to access information for Bupa Around the Bay. Save it to your smartphone home screen or favourites to use on event day.
For the first time in Bupa Around the Bay's history, riders of the 210km and 250km in 2014 will receive a different jersey from the other ride distances. The long-distance jersey has a white bottom rather than the navy bottom in the regular jersey.