Bicycle Network: National Ride2School Day
Who better to understand how to get more students riding, walking, skating and scooting to school than students themselves?
Planning a National Ride2School Day celebration is a great opportunity for student leaders to put their leadership qualities into action.
Here are a few ideas to get your planning started:
- If your school has a Student Representative Council (SRC) ask them to take on some responsibility of promoting and planning the Ride2School Day.
- If your school does not have a SRC, then form a committee of students that show leadership qualities and are respected by their peers.
- Facilitate a brainstorming session with your student leadership group so students can come up with ideas for promoting the event and running activities on the day. Once brainstorming is complete, assign students to coordinate specific tasks so everyone finishes the meeting with actions they need to do before the next one.
- Direct your students to the Ride2School website to check out the resources. They if they would like some assistance in coming up with ideas.
- One of the most important tasks on National Ride2School Day that you can give students is the collection of Hands Up! data. Students can visit each classroom on the day to do a Hands Up! active travel count, then collate the numbers and enter the data on your schools Hands Up! portal.
Involving students in planning your National Ride2School Day not only helps them develop their skills, it also makes them take ownership, which will enhance their passion and excitement for the day.