Bicycle Network: Other Events
Walk and Wheel-a-thon
The Walk and Wheel-a-thon is a brilliant opportunity to get students fit and healthy and get them into the habit of walking and riding regularly. We have pulled together some resources to help your school host a Walk and Wheel-a-thon any time of the year.
Here are some great suggestions for making the Walk and Wheel-a-thon work for your school any time of year:
- Fundraising - encourage students to walk and/or ride to and from school and get sponsored by family, friends and other members of their community for every kilometre they travel. Do this for a specific day, over a week or even over a whole month. The choice is yours! Students could fundraise for your school, a charity or both!
- Promoting active travel - some schools choose to hold a Walk and Wheel-a-thon simply to promote the benefits of active travel without fundraising. Get students into the habit of walking or riding by promoting it over a week, a month or even a term!
- Timing - we suggest holding the Walk and Wheel-a-thon in October because there are so many great events on. Your school can also participate in Walktober, Walk to School Day and/or National Ride to Work Day to keep students walking and riding throughout the month. If October doesn't work for your school pick a time of year that does. Any week, any month, any term....the choice is yours!
- Frequent rider passports - these are a great way to make the Walk and Wheel-a-thon a hit at your school. They give students something to work towards and help them feel a sense of achievement at the end of the event.
- The 'How To' Walk and Wheel-a-thon manual
- Tips for Fundraising and Sponsorship
- Media Release Template
- Newsletter Inserts
- Sponsor Form
- Student Participation Certificate Template
- Frequent Rider Passports