Bicycle Network: Where to Ride
7 Trail transporter - coach to Leongatha
Currently people cannot carry standard bicycles on any V/Line coach service. This rule affects casual users and large groups of bike riders alike. To help address this issue, Bicycle Network Victoria is running a bike transport trial on the Melbourne–Leongatha coach service.
Transporter Trial now complete
29 April 2010 The Train Transporter program, conducted in conjunction with the Victorian Department of Transport, has completed its six week trial period.
Response to the trial has been enthusiastic, and increasing numbers of riders booking their bikes on the services as word spread – both Trail Transporters were full over ANZAC Day weekend!
Here are a few comments from the people who used the Trail Transporters:
- 'I think that the Trail Transporters scheme is a wonderful idea, particularly in the South Gippsland area which is not serviced by any trains, and I do hope that it can be offered again in the future.'
- 'Just a short note to say l enjoyed the Leongatha-Foster rail trail, the transporter driver was fantastic, he was always on time, friendly, helpful with tips & guidance to track conditions, towns along the way etc.'
- 'An excellent idea and definitely worth promoting.'
All participants of the Trail Transporter service are invited to complete a post-event survey here. Answers will guide changes to any forthcoming service.
All respondents of the Trail Transporter Users’ Survey will be entered into a draw to win a copy of Rail Trails of Victoria and South Australia and a Kryptonite K4 Plus bicycle lock. Terms & conditions can be viewed here.
Trial for bike transport with V/Line coach services
12 March 2010 Bicycle Network Victoria and the Department of Transport are pleased to announce a trial bike transport service that will carry coach and train passengers’ bikes to and from a select number of rail trails during the last six weeks of summer.
Run by Bicycle Network Victoria, the Trail Transporter is a trial initiative. Passengers will be able to load their bikes onto a special bike trailer that will operate in conjunction with selected V/Line train and coach services. Bicycle Network Victoria is managing this trial for the Victorian Government. The service is free.
- The Trail Transporter trial will run from Friday 19 March until Monday 26 April 2010.
- The Trail Transporter is available to all passengers wanting to travel with their bike, and this service is free. (As part of the usual train and coach fare.)
- Passengers must ensure that they get their bikes loaded onto the Trail Transporter so it can leave 15 minutes before the V/Line service is due to depart. Transport is at your risk, so be sure to secure and pack your bike adequately.
- See below for details about how to book your bike on the Melbourne–Leongatha/Menniyan Trail Transporter.
- For information and bookings for the Melbourne–Ballarat Trail Transporter, which will run in conjunction with V/Line's corresponding train services, click here.
The Melbourne–Leongatha/Meeniyan Trail Transporter
The Melbourne–Leongatha/Meeniyan Trail Transporter will run through to the end of autumn, to provide riders with opportunities to ride the Great Southern Rail Trail and through the Prom Country, which is perfect for weekend excursions, and to test the feasibility and efficiency of a bike-specific transport service.
The Melbourne–Leongatha/Menniyan Trail Transporter will enable riders to travel to Leongatha or Meeniyan on a Friday evening, ride the Great Southern Rail Trail over the weekend, and then return to Melbourne on the Sunday evening. The Trail Transporter will run at different times on public holidays.
The Melbourne–Leongatha/Meeniyan Trail Transporter is operated by Taylor’s Coachlines, and will run in conjunction with corresponding coach services operated by V/Line. V/Line advises passengers to book their place on these services so they can arrive at their destination with their bikes.
- Riders can collect or load their bikes onto the Trail Transporter at Leongatha or Meeniyan. (Travelling directly to Meeniyan is a good way to avoid the gap in the rail trial.) Remember to inform the Trail Transporter driver of your plans when you load your bike on the Friday.
- The Trail Transporter will run alongside the V/Line services that depart from Southern Cross Station at 1.10pm on Friday afternoons and from Meeniyan at 5.46pm on Sunday evenings, passing through Leongatha Station 15 minutes later, at around 6.01pm. Bikes must beloaded on the Trail Transporter so it can leave 15 minutes before these V/Line services depart.
- V/Line passengers travelling to Leongatha or Meeniyan can load their bikes onto the Trail Transporter in the coach loading area at Southern Cross Station between 12.15pm and 1pm. (Look for a car with a bike-specific trailer.)
- V/Line passengers returning to Melbourne on the Sunday can load their bikes onto the Trail Transporter at Meeniyan between 4.45pm and 5.30pm. The Trail Transporter will arrive in Leongatha Station about 15 minutes later. Please be ready to load your bike at 5.45pm.
- The Trail Transporter will meet the coach at its destination so riders can collect their bikes from trailer.
- On Easter weekend the Trail Transporter will operate alongside coach services that leave Southern Cross at 8.50am on Good Friday, and Meeniyan at 5.46pm on Easter Monday, loading bikes between 4.45pm and 5.30pm, and at 5.45pm in Leongatha Station.
- On ANZAC Day, the Trail Transporter will run with the V/Line service that departs from Meeniyan at 5.46pm on Monday 26 April. (Riders can load their bikes between 4.45pm and 5.30pm, and at 5.45pm in Leongatha Station.)
The Melbourne–Leongatha/Meeniyan Trail Transporter trial will run on the following weekends:
- Friday19 – Sunday 21 March
- Friday 26 – Sunday 28 March
- Friday 2 – Monday 5 April (Easter weekend)
- Friday 9 – Sunday 11 April
- Friday 16 – Sunday 18 April
- Friday 23 – Monday 26 April (ANZAC Day)
Melbourne to Leongatha/Meeniyan: departing from Bay 72 at Southern Cross Station (at the Coaches and Airport Shuttles Terminal, at the Spencer and Bourke St entrance)
- at 1.10pm on Fridays (except on public holidays), loading bikes between 12.15pm and 1pm
- at 8.50am on Good Friday, loading bikes between 7.50am and 8.35am
Menniyan/Leongatha to Melbourne: departing from Meeniyan and then passing through Leongatha Station 15 minutes later (riders loading their bikes at Leongatha Station, please be ready when the coach arrives)
- at 5.46pm on Sundays (except on public holidays), loading bikes at Meeniyan between 4.45pm and 5.30pm, and at 6pm in Leongatha Station
- at 5.46pm on Easter Monday, loading bikes between 4.45pm and 5.30pm, and at 5.45pm in Leongatha Station
- at 5.46pm on ANZAC Day, loading bikes between 4.45pm and 5.30pm, and at 5.45pm in Leongatha Station
To book your bike on the Melbourne–Leongatha/Meeniyan Trail Transporter, click on this link.
- You can collect or load you bike onto the Trail Transporter at Leongatha or Meeniyan, but remember to inform the Trail Transporter driver of your plans when you load your bike on the Friday.
- (If you have any difficulties with the booking site, please email Mark Dixon with your name, phone number, the dates and destination and the number of bikes you want to load onto the Trail Transporter. Mark's email address is email@example.com)
To book a passenger fare on the corresponding V/Line coach service, click here.