Bicycle Network: Behaviour
Bicycle Victoria position: Road safety
- Email me updates
- Road Safety, safety, accident, crash
Bicycle Network Victoria's approach to road safety
Bicycle Network Victoria's approach to road safety is based on the following principles:
- Identify reliable information about bicycle trauma
- Analyse, interpret and publish the data
- Identify data that needs to be gathered e.g. establish a sound basis for measuring exposure or the amount of cycling that occurs.
- Build consensus amongst all stakeholders on the priority problems.
- Encourage all stakeholders to move to a preventative approach.
Emphasise engineering countermeasures:
- Ensure that bike paths are built/adapted to reduce crashes that are caused by poorly designed corners, sight lines, centrally located bollards and inadequate maintenance
- Ensure that bike lanes meet the national guidelines when installed as part of bicycle networks
- Monitor implementation of countermeasures
- Evaluate effectiveness
- Support training courses that increase bicycle skills for adults and children.
- Support appropriate standards that improve bicycle safety.
- Support regulations that improve bicycle safety
- Encourage regular review of penalties.
- Develop insurance solutions for common causes of injury and property damage.