Bicycle Network: Funding & Budgets
Community Infrastructure Fund 2009 - 2010
- Email me updates
- Harry Barber
Later in 2009 the Federal Government will make available another $220 million to Councils. Here's how you could spend it to get people riding.
Applications for the second round of funding closed on 15 January 2010. Announcements about successful projects are expected throughout 2010.
$30 000 could be spent on a number of useful bicycle projects. Here are some thought starters.
- A bike parking shed at a school that is getting the students to walk and ride ($20 000)
- On street bike parking near where you see bikes locked to trees and meters in a strip shopping centre. 70 stainless steel rails installed in asphalt or concrete.
- Install a bike lane. 500m of painted bike lane (both side of the road)
- Upgrade a painted lane with rumble paint around 400m
- Repair washed out section of path. 300m of off road gravel path
- Treat a couple of intersections with green paint in the approach lanes. 200 sq m of green paint installed.
- Half of a Parkiteer cage structure
- Upgrade sections of bike path. 100m of 3m wide concrete path - this could be used to improve the approach to a road crossing for example
- Install bike parking in a commercial car park. 200 parking rails installed on an existing concrete wall for example in an underground car park
- Replace wooden planks on 5 x 10m long bike path bridges. 100m of Replas decking to replace existing decking on a sound foundation for example
- A composting toilet for a trail - $20 000 installed
- Three wombat crossings to help students get to school (3 x $10 000)
$150 000 in an urban regional Council:
- One km of shared path leading to the railway station
- Improve walking and riding access at the entrance to a school with kerb outstands, raised crossing and landscaping.
- Install an underpass where a road has cut a creek path. Cut the road, install box culvert reinstate road.
- Bus or rail station. $150 000 will install two Parkiteer cages for 26 bikes each without operating and management costs.