Bicycle Network: Our Organisation
Great Escapade Tasmania
Last Updated: 1/7/2012
These Terms and Conditions of Entry (“Entry Terms”) are designed to enable the Great Escapade Tasmania from 9 February to 17 February 2013(the “Ride”) to run smoothly and safely. By registering to participate in the Ride, you (the “Ride Participant”) accept and agree to be bound by these Entry Terms:
1. The Ride Participant may elect to take part in the Great Escapade Tasmania Ride.
2. The Ride Participant may enter via online only. Changes may be made, refer to “Changes to Ride Option” section. No changes to Ride Options will be permitted after 5pm, Friday 18 January 2013 (AEST).
3. If the Ride Participant is under the age of 18 years, the Ride Participant must have a parent or guardian sign the entry form and consent to their participation in the Ride.
4. If the Ride Participant is aged 15 years or younger on the day of the Ride, the Ride Participant must be accompanied on the ride by a Parent / Guardian.
5. It is recommended that children under 12 years travel on a bike with a parent or guardian in a bike seat, trailer, tag-a-long or similar.
6. Bicycle Network Victoria may, in its absolute discretion and without giving reasons for its decision, accept or refuse an application for registration.
All pricing will be displayed in AUD
Ride Participant categories for fee structure
7. An adult is defined as a person who is 18 years or older on the first day of the Ride.
8. A youth 17 years and under is defined as a person who is as young as 13 years and as old as 17 years on the first day of the Ride.
9. A child 12 years and under is defined as a person who is as young as 6 years and as old as 12 years on the first day of the Ride.
10. An infant 5 years & under is defined as a person who as old as 5 years on the first day of the Ride.
Exclusive Member Entry Period
11. There is an exclusive member entry period from 9am AEST 23July 2012 until 5pm AEST 29 July 2012.
12. Ride Participants who register during the member only exclusive period must be current Bicycle Network Victoria members at time of Ride Entry.
13. A Ride Participant who is not a member may only enter during the exclusive member entry period if they purchase Bicycle Network Victoria membership before 5pm AEST 29 July 2012.
14. Should a Ride Participant sign up during the member exclusive entry period and not become a member by 5pm AEST 29 July 2012, the registration will be deemed void and Bicycle Network Victoria reserves the right to cancel the Ride Participant’s entry.
Early Entry Offers
15. To receive the early entry price, a deposit of $AUD400 must be received by 5pm AEST 17 November 2012.If you pay for your entry in full by 24 November you will be able to have your bike transported to and from the event as described on the event website at no cost.
16. The early entry offers are not available to infant under 5 years entries.
17. Deposits are non-refundable and are only available on the cost of the Great Escapade Tasmania ticket only.
18. Deposits will only be accepted for entries received up until AEST 3 September 2012.
19. Any new entries received after this date will be required to pay the amount in full.
20. Balance of payments are due by 5pm, 24November 2012.
21. Balance of payments not received by 5pm, 16 November 2012 will be deemed incomplete and Bicycle Network Victoria reserves the right to cancel the Ride Participants entry.
22. If the Ride Participant wishes to cancel his/her participation in the Ride, the Ride Participant must notify Bicycle Network Victoria in writing, providing his/her name, address, event number and reason for cancelling.
23. Written cancellations received before 5pm, 10 October 2012 (AEST) will be refunded their entry fee and transport costs less $AUD400 (deposit).
24. Written cancellations received before 5pm, 16 November 2012 (AEST) will be refunded 50% of their entry fee and transport costs.
25. No refunds will be offered for cancellations received after 5pm, 16 November 2012 (AEST).
26. Once the written cancellation has been received from the Ride Participant and processed by Bicycle Network Victoria the Ride Participant can no longer transfer their ride ticket.
27. Except as otherwise stated in these Entry Terms, Bicycle Network Victoria is under no obligation to refund monies or entry fees due to non use, cancellation, failure to participate or dissatisfaction by the Ride Participant.
Changes to Ride Options
28. Participants may add a new option (unless sold out) up until 18 January 2013 (AEST).
29. Participants may add, change and remove Ride Options Online until the earlier of 5pm, 18 January 2013 (AEST)or until option sold out. Your personal details can be changed at no cost.
30. If the balance is greater than the original payment participants will be directed to pay via credit card. If the balance is less than the original payment participants will not be automatically refunded for the remaining amount. Participants must call the Bicycle Network Victoria office on 03 8636 8888 to request a refund. A $AUD20 administration charge applies to all refunds.
31. Ride Merchandise and Ride DVD will not be refunded. Once the product is purchased, the product remains the property of the buyer and will be distributed to the buyer at the allocated time.
32. The Ride Participant may choose to purchase an external optional travel insurance policy which may cover them in case of cancellation.
33. Bicycle Network Victoria Members that participate in the Ride may have travel insurance included in their Membership
34. Bicycle Network Victoria Members should refer to the policy details available at www.bv.com.au.
35. The Ride Participant may transfer his/her registration for the Ride. A request for a transfer must be received in writing by Bicycle Network Victoria before 5pm, 24 November 2012 (AEST)
36. To qualify for a transfer, the cancelling Ride Participant must supply Bicycle Network Victoria with the new Ride Participants details at the time of the transfer.
37. A Ride Participant may transfer his or her ride ticket. The new Ride Participant must sign up in full then a refund equivalent to the monies paid less ($AUD75 administration fee and merchandise) will be refunded to the original ride participant.
The $AUD75 transfer fee will be deducted from the original payment and cannot be paid by the new Ride Participant.
Merchandise remains the property of the original Ride Participant and will be posted to the ride participant after the ride.
38. Ride Communications will principally be made via email. The Ride Participant should therefore provide a valid email address. If the Ride Participant does not have access to an email address, the Ride Participant should make every effort to read the monthly email newsletter which will be posted on the Great Escapade Tasmania website.
39. It is the Ride Participant’s responsibility to read all information that is made available on the Bicycle Network Victoria website, in email newsletters, the Ride Guide and all other literature concerning the Ride.
Closing Dates for entries
40. Early entries on the Great Escapade Tasmania(early price and deposit option) are due by 5pm AEST 16 November 2012.
41. Entries for the Ride close 5pm, 18 January 2013 (AEST), subject to availability. After this date, entries can only be taken at the start of the Ride subject to availability and will incur an additional $AUD200 entry fee.
Acknowledgment and Waiver
42. The Ride Participant acknowledges and agrees that participation in the Ride is inherently dangerous and that he/she participates in the Ride at his/her own risk.
43. In consideration of Bicycle Network Victoria permitting the Ride Participant to enter and participate in the Ride, the Ride Participant hereby releases and indemnifies Bicycle Network Victoria, the sponsors of the Ride and any of their respective representatives from and against all and any claims, suits, demands, liabilities, loss and damage (including indirect and consequential loss), costs, expenses and, interest, whether pursuant to common law or statute, that the Ride Participant may suffer or incur arising from or connected with the Ride Participant’s participation in the Ride including as a result of the negligence, breach of duty, breach of care or other fault or responsibility of Bicycle Network Victoria, the sponsors of the Ride and any of their respective representatives.
44. If you are acting as the guardian for a child that Ride Participant consents to the under age child participating in the Ride and agrees to take full and sole responsibility for the child’s safety and participation in the Ride.
Compliance with Laws
45. During the Ride, the Ride Participant must comply with all traffic and road laws, all directions issued by Police and all instructions given by Bicycle Network Victoria or any employees or officials representing Bicycle Network Victoria at the Ride. Failure to do so may result in the Ride Participant being removed from the Ride.
46. The Ride Participant must wear an Australian standard cycling helmet at all times during the Ride while riding a bicycle and that the bicycle is in a serviceable condition meeting all traffic and road laws. Bikes arriving at the start without suitable bicycle lights attached will not be allowed to start that days ride.
Preparation, Training, Health and Safety
47. The Ride Participant is responsible for ensuring that he/she has adequately and appropriately prepared both physically and mentally for the Ride. If the Ride Participant has any health issues or doubts prior to the Ride, he/she should immediately seek appropriate medical advice.
48. If, during the Ride, the Ride Participant becomes ill or is injured, Bicycle Network Victoria will endeavor to arrange medical transport, usually in an ambulance. Any medical transport will be at the Ride Participant’s expense. (Bicycle Network Victoria recommends that Ride Participants hold current ambulance service membership and /or health insurance to cover such costs; Bicycle Network Victoria membership may include ambulance and bike crash insurance for bicycle accidents.) Refer to the policy details available at www.bicyclenetwork.com.au.
Riders should inform themselves of any required permit, visa, passport and legal requirements if traveling overseas.
49. Where a Ride Participant becomes seriously ill or injured and are unable to ride, the Ride Participant will be considered no longer participating in the Ride.
50. Where a Ride Participant is either expelled from, or chooses to discontinue the Ride, the Ride Participant is responsible for their own transport and associated costs.
51. Where a Ride Participant engages the use of the SAG Wagon on three (3) or more occasions, excluding medical or mechanical reasons, the Ride Participant will be asked to leave the ride, at the discretion of the Event Manager, and their ride ticket cancelled.
52 A Ride Participant understands that should they fail to complete the required riding distance within the required time frame, as outlined in the route documentation and at the discretion of the route operations team leader, they will be required to be sagged the remainder of the daily riding distance. Should the Ride Participant refuse, they are considered outside of the ride and accept all associated risks.
53. The Ride Participant must ride in a safe and responsible manner during the Ride and use common sense at all times.
54. The Ride Participant must exercise caution on all public roads and other thoroughfares and ride defensively and courteously.
55. When advised and where reasonably able to do so, Bicycle Network Victoria will use all reasonable endeavors to provide an inclusive event for all.
56. Bicycle Network Victoria will consider written requests before the Ride for personal assistance with specific health matters including refrigeration of prescription drugs.
57. Where a Ride Participant requires a sleep apnoea machine, they will be required to bring a battery powered machine. Bicycle Network Victoria will assist in charging the batteries each day.
Meal and dietary requirements
58. Bicycle Network Victoria offers two standard meal types, namely Non-Vegetarian and Vegetarian.
59. Where another dietary option is offered the description of that option will be provided. If these options do not meet your dietary requirements, you must consider alternate ways in which to personally cater for your own meals.
60. Bicycle Network Victoria cannot facilitate the storage, transport or cooking of self catered meals.
61. Any special meal option for the Ride is provided by Bicycle Network Victoria as a service to the Ride Participants and its members. Every effort is made by Bicycle Network Victoria and the appointed caterers to ensure that recipes and ingredients are controlled
62. Bicycle Network Victoria and their caterers cannot however, guarantee that any meal or food item is exactly as described - contamination by allergens can occur that is beyond Bicycle Network Victoria and or the caterer's reasonable control.
63. It is solely the Ride Participant’s responsibility to carry on you at all times, suitable food and/or medication which may be necessary to treat any particular medical condition that you suffer from.
64. Conduct which, in reasonable opinion of Bicycle Network Victoria, is inappropriate in accordance with the standards published at the event website may result in the Ride Participant being expelled from the Ride.
65. Participants are not permitted onto the Campsite until at least 12pm daily or at the discretion of the Event Staff. Bicycle Network Victoria reserves the right to expel a Ride Participant from the ride if any these terms and conditions are disobeyed.
Alcohol and Illicit drugs
66. Bringing, consuming or possessing alcohol or illicit drugs on to the campsite is strictly prohibited. You must not remove alcohol from the licensed area.
67. Drunkenness or under-age drinking will not be tolerated and may be referred to the Police.
68. The campsite is strictly a non-smoking area. There will be designated smoking areas outside the campsite.
Ride and Ride Option Variation
69. Bicycle Network Victoria reserves the right , in its absolute discretion, to:
(a) change or vary the route of any of the Ride Options without notice;
(b) cancel, postpone, reschedule or change the time or place for the Ride or any of the Ride Options for any reason and at any time prior to the commencement of the Ride; and Bicycle Network Victoria is not responsible for or liable to the Ride Participant for any loss, damage, cost or expense, whether direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise and howsoever or wheresoever incurred by the Ride Participant resulting from any such action taken by Bicycle Network Victoria.
Private support vehicles
70. Private support vehicles are not permitted on the Ride. Participants identified by Bicycle Network Victoria seeking assistance of a private support vehicle will be asked to leave the ride and their ride ticket cancelled.
71. The Ride Participant acknowledges and agrees that he/she may be photographed or filmed during the Ride and consents to Bicycle Network Victoria using the Ride Participant’s picture and likeness contained in any photographs or film for publishing the Ride and for promoting any future ride or event to be staged by Bicycle Network Victoria.
73. Where a ride participant accepts a bike service, they give permission for their contact details to be passed on to the nominated Bicycle Service Agent.
74. Where a ride participant purchases a Ride DVD from Bicycle Network Victoria, they give permission for their contact details to be passed on to the production company.
75. The Ride will be held outdoors and will proceed notwithstanding poor weather conditions on the day of the Ride. Bicycle Network Victoria is not liable to the Ride Participant for any loss, damage, cost or expense of any kind including, but not limited to, refund of entry fees, in the event of poor weather before or during the Ride.
76. Bicycle Network Victoria reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to refuse to allow the Ride Participant to participate in the Ride or to remove the Ride Participant from the Ride for breach of these terms and conditions or if it otherwise determines it appropriate to do so.
77. Bicycle Network Victoria is not liable to the Ride Participant for any loss, damage, cost or expense of any kind, including but not limited to, the refund of the entry fee, if the Ride Participant is denied access to or removed from the Ride for any reason.
78. No animals are permitted on the Ride with the exception of a request made by a Ride Participant for a Guide Dog.
79. Bicycle Network Victoria will transport your luggage between campsites. Each Ride Participant is allowed one bag for luggage weighing up to 20kg or 2 bags weighing 10kg each. Overweight bags will not be handled by Bicycle Network Victoria staff, contractors or Volunteers and will incur a $AUD50 fee. Reasonable care will be taken with your luggage. Except as required by law Bicycle Network Victoria does not accept any responsibility for loss or damage.
80 The Ride Participant acknowledges that this agreement is governed by and will be construed according to the laws in effect in the state of Victoria, Australia
81. “Bicycle Network Victoria” means the Bicycle Network Victoria Incorporated ABN 41 026 835 903 and includes where appropriate Bicycle Network Victoria’s employees, volunteers, agents, contractors and officers.